DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG
Message Author
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:46 pm  

We are running a character description contest! How very exciting, I know! How do you enter, you ask? Why, I'll tell you:

1 - Write out your character's description as you'd like him/her to be seen by the general pbase. (This can be done through option '2' of the character menu.)
2 - Send a private message via this website to Zaulh to 'register' your entry prior to the close date.
3 - On the eve of the close date, I'll publish a list of all of the characters who have registered.
4 - Wait anxiously as all of the registered character descriptions are reviewed via pfile.
5 - Win!

What we're looking for is not necessarily the prettiest, strongest character, but the character's description that BEST conjures up a compelling picture of that character in the mind of the reader. A non-exhaustive list of what will be considered includes:

- Vivid (in the sense of clarity) descriptions.
- Descriptive versus conclusory terms.
- Comprehensive approach.
- Staying true to the character sheet.
- Grammar.
- Spelling.
(I will not be considering the use of ANSI in the calculation. It should be noted that ANSI colorcode counts against the character limit of the description.)

You are not required to change your current character description to enter. If you'd like to enter with your character description the way it is, feel free.

The deadline to register is Thursday, August 27th 11:59 PM GMT.
(6:59 PM Eastern, 3:59 PM Pacific.)

I expect to have the winners determined by the end of the following Monday.

Rewards:

1) Every "good faith" entry will get a sparkling quest token (of Santa's variety.)
2) The runner up will get three.
3) The winning character gets four sparkling quest tokens.

DO NOT use this thread to register your entry. I will NOT include a character in the competition if I do not get a private message from that character. You do not need to include the description in the PM; your intent to compete will suffice.

Good luck!

Looking forward to some good reading,
-- Z.

Last edited by Zaulh on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 pm  

Having been asked to clarify:

How do you enter? Send me a one-line PM.
What is a 'sparkling quest token'? They are the quest tokens that Santa hands out at Christmas/New Years. 150 QTs each.

-- Z.

Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:46 am  

I thought they only gave 100 qt

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:39 am  

I was under the impression they were 150, but since I can't access the MUD from my current connection, I won't be able to check until a little later. It's set to what Ath had it at. I'll update the value when I confirm.

-- Z.

Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:52 pm  

It's 150.
-- Z.

Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:31 am  

Way to force me to finally write up a description. Very clever of you!

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:30 pm  

I am extending the deadline to enter the character description competition to Saturday, 2359 GMT.

There are two reasons for this:

1) My vacation and subsequent flight to the States were extended. Given that I have twelve hours of theater on Saturday and my flight back on Sunday (Hurricane Irene willing), my weekend will be consumed and that time may as well be given to you, the players.
2) I realize that there might have been some confusion on the deadline as the 27th is not Thursday. Don't rightly know how that happened.

The following characters have registered:

- Amico
- Groldoth
- Sabberdath
- Ceylle
- Evelana
- Althanis
- Mobolixx
- Dachaz
- Viktor
- Marawen
- Asmodial

Given that I am writing this from my phone, I will re-check at a computer, but if you do not see your name and would like to enter, make sure to send me a private message ASAP.

-- Z.

Last edited by Zaulh on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total 
Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:44 pm  

Hope it's not too late to enter! PM sent!

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 am  

Despite Delta and Hurricane Irene's best collective efforts, I've returned from my rather long break to Europe. Registration closed; I've added you, Asmodial. You all can expect the results in a few days!

-- Z.

Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:57 am  

Haha... welcome back Smile

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:58 pm  

Two things!

First, of course:
Thanks to everyone who submitted your description for our consideration. We have our winners! The description qualities were closer than anticipated, so thank you for making them such a pleasant read.

Runner-up: Althanis.
Winner: Marawen.

Congratulations! We'll be transferring quest tokens to the respective winners in the correct amounts (450, 600) - everyone else who competed with be receiving 150, so keep an eye out. There were no bad-faith entries, and for that I am grateful.

Second:

From now on, we are offering a one-time 150 QT quest reward for characters with descriptions. Whether your character is new or old, if you weren't part of the above list of contenders, shoot a mudmail and if your description is up to par, you'll receive the 150. If not, well, you'll be encouraged to rewrite it and try again. Smile This goes for characters in creation now, at the time of this writing, and for those who will be created later.

As not everyone reads these forums consistently, please feel free to circulate this new reward via word of mouth. It'll also be posted on the Immortal board.

-- Z.

Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:47 pm  

Congrats!

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:16 pm  

I honestly was not expecting to win, there were some really nice descriptions out there.. thank you!! Smile

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 pm  

Woo, congrats to the winners!

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG

View next topic
View previous topic