DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter
Message Author
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 pm  

Simple question :
Is being a Paladin the same thing as being a Knight?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:38 pm  

In many cases, yes. In fact, Paladin is a knight with perks form their god. The precedence of them ebing very similar goes back a long way. After all, aren't Paladins also refered to as holy knights?

Case in point: Ragnaok Online. The Crusader class ALSO is mounted much liek the knights are - well, both can ride, if they choose. Also, many references where you have holy people who fight in literature are referred to as knights - despite their serving a divine being.

One can fight, and know how to fight, without being a knight though. Knolwedge of combat simply does not make one a nkight - there are more 'qualifications' to be such - knights are usually in the service of SOMETHING - be they the royalty, or be they the church or some such.

History also points to holy knights as well. Templars and the such. And knights in ye olden days were mounted often, with their own mounts, and trained well upon them, and not just for jousting. But the average soldier was not mounted usually nor truly had the same understanding of combat mounted and riding as the knights, who rode 'gallantly' and above everyone else.

Being mounted aas an honor in combat and a priveledge, usually given to the high standing people - the 'knights' if you will. And the royalty and those of higher rank. Even today, the common footsoldier doesn't have the same ability to operate a machine which ahs taken the place of the horse on the battlefield.

Specialized knowledge was often reserved for those of higher standing, and the 'common' soldier and fighters weren't it usually - as well as the fact horses were not in the same quantity as people, and the cost to maintina equipment, etc. for them was fairly high. [Least in times past, as you got to more modern times it wasn't as bad.] So the more specialized training and skills for handling the animals, as you couldn't spend days and weeks trying to train every soldier to use somethign whcih they likely wouldn't be able to use commonly.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:54 pm  

Thanks for the explantion Very Happy
This is the way I look at it, however flawed it may be. Please tell me if you think its wrong.
Being a Knight is nothing more than a job. Its a person who is paid to guard a noble's property or do their bidding. They are little more than an early version of Security Guards to me. Occasionally they are called upon to quest for their noble, and most of the time they worship the same Gods that their noble does. Now sometimes Knights become Kings as Knights are sometimes thrust into a Warlord type position and their King dies with no heirs, but does this make them a Fighter because they are a battlefield general? Perhaps....
Now when these Warlord Knights become Kings, they get to impose their views thus King Arthur and the KOTRT.
Do Knights cast magic? Haven't seen that happen much in anything, ever...
Do the Knights in Tyr cast magic?
Paladins are Warrior Priests who are in the service of their God. That is why their skills sets are modeled after Warriors and....Priests?
Here are a few games I've played where Paladins and Knights are separate entities :
The Legend of Zelda series, the Dragon Warrior series, Legend of Dragoon, the Final Fantasy series, World of Warcraft, Everquest, and many more I can't think of right now but will probably post later if need be.
This series of books that is considered to define the genre, although not by me : The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Did you ever see or read about Arogan casting a single spell? Any other Knights from the tales? I didn't, but I may have missed something.

In the end it may be that the job of a Knight and the guild of Paladins must be the same thing for Dreamscapes to run smoothly, but I just don't see how players define their guild by a job and not a class. I mean just exactly what skills do Knights have beyond riding horses and jousting?
Save for horsemanship, they have the same skills that a skilled Fighter would have because Knights are called on to be mercenaries, to be guards, to be a symbol of a Lord's strength, but I just don't see them being called on to go and cast spells that they can't cast and don't have in the majority of realms besides Dreamscapes.
That being said, Dreamscapes is unique and the issue just adds to the non-conformist trend this game employs. Cool
Yay for individuals!

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:20 am  

Eww....
A flaw in my own logic!
Weren't guilds built on jobs and not on classes? Unions are a descendant of the guild legacies of the Dark Ages, and although race had a major role in early guilds I think class per se did not.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter

View next topic
View previous topic