DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG
Message Author
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:33 am  

Daru! How did everyone forget Daru....Urad...

Retista - the GP....awesome awesome awesome.

Ollathair was pure priest, and bad ass.

Yeah, random tangented thoughts.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:49 am  

*sniff sniff*

No one reconized me

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:12 am  

I want Twaegryn, Ambros and Roulaine on that list aswell =]

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:10 am  

^

Shameless Name Drops of DS1: Arothril, Cora, Corian, Danser, Grimler, Imris, Kelshan(SP? Rogue/Mage/Druid), Khalyra, Seldjei, Tristea, Zantheus

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:03 am  

Yeah i just realized, we were talking about 1.5 and later wern't we Very Happy

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm  

Heh...Azrun has played in DS2 as well. Trusiel has gotten as much praise as any of the old players, which is why I say if you include him, it would be a crime not to inculde others who were as talented as he was, though his switch was quite a feat. If you want another one similar to him, that would be Daru, who I believe also managed a similar change in ethos. As for Moridin, he was known as the Jester back in his day, and was a rogue of some reknown and accomplishment. As Trusiel's brother, he made his living breaking into NUMEROUS houses, one of them being Llysandriad's I believe. Some other tales involving these two are known by Jiann better than I, but I do remember ShRiN which was then wielded by Llysandriad ending up in Trusiel's house if I am not mistaken. Arcturis did make an appearance in DS2 as Arcturis, though he did not stick around for very long. Opacus also played in DS2 I believe as well, and was the LP GM for some time as well as a significant enemy of the Assassins Guild ironically enough. And as for listing Twae and Roulaine, they are in the same class as Kaid, Elremir and Opacus. Tanahlei was not a huge force, but she had a significant impact and was closely related to MANY powerful characters. Another name that deserves consideration is Chymbalis who was the original vampire, along with Tanahlei, Nyseleniel and Tanahlei.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 am  

I have a feeling that by the end of this thread, every single player in DS will be a 'legend'. =P
Legends are rare. If 90% of a population are legends it doesn't mean they're all amazing, it means that the other 10% are losers.

I think the original list had some names on it that really shouldn't be there. Here are my views on the list in the first post:

*disclaimer: just because I think someone shouldn't be on the list doesn't mean I don't like them or think they're bad players*

Drenkor: He should be on the list. With Troatlan and Drenkor he has two of the most capable PK-characters since original pwipe. He's defeated only rarely, Odaridan beat him in DS 1.5 and Tremlar in DS 2. We've never been friends and I doubt we ever will be, but he deserves the recognition because of the sheer force of his characters.

Tremlar: He has indeed always played characters who are very loyal to their Guild and friends. Funny thing is that my DS 1.5 characters (Joven, Cavanaugh) really disliked Eradimus, but my DS 2 characters (Corbyn, Nevandriel, Bentwick) really liked Tremlar. I believe Tremlar is the strongest Fighter since original pwipe (since L'lysandriad perhaps?) and this would be the main reason to put him on the list.

Aixa: I agree with what was said in the original post...except perhaps the 'Druids are now given more respect' bit.

Jarai: Although I always liked Jarai and the way he's RP-ed I don't think he should be on the list, except perhaps for being the strongest Ranger since original pwipe.

Channis: I like Channis but I don't know enough about him to really make a sound decision. I never really noticed anything remarkable by him, which (since he's a Rogue) could be a compliment. I'm not sure he belongs on the list though.

Crosis: Another guy who knows how to make really strong characters. Always seems to play evil and does it very well. I think he might be one of the fastest rankers in the game. I'd put him on the list, especially since his previous character caused a group of other characters to work together to kill him which doesn't happen often enough (both Obtenebrasti and Joven seem to get away with everything).

Ranlin: I don't think he should be on the list. There are stronger Dark Paladins and Rangers than him, and leading large groups isn't too special. I've seen others do it and did it myself quite often as well.

Dienur: Shouldn't be on the list. Didn't do anything noteworthy except perhaps having some ideas that weren't implemented. I have plenty of ideas that aren't implemented and it doesn't make me a legend. =P

Shojinn: Definitely shouldn't be on the list. Although she did learn the basics of the game quite rapidly she never really seemed to get the hang of it. Turning your characters into robots through triggers is not an accomplishment, it's even against the rules. Without those triggers, Shojinn wasn't a very good priest. Eventually, I noticed people rather hunted without her because they'd die less. She often felt it was more important to create a spring during combat than to heal the main tank since 'Hey, if my mana drains because of thirst I won't have enough to heal you!'.

Froldorf: He should be on the list purely for making the strongest Rogue ever in DS history (I think). Besides that, he always seems happy to help others, both newbies and experienced players (on the other hand, you could say he doesn't play his evil alignment very well). Too bad he didn't stay a completely pure Rogue but got some Fighter and Assassin skills.

Thallid: He could be on the list for having an ever youthful character. One day Thallid's 50 years old and rank 100, the next day he's back at 17 and rank 3. Although I personally think old characters shouldn't be brought back, he seems to succeed pretty well doing just that. Most DPs seem to willingly hand the GM position to him whenever he shows up.

Other characters that have been mentioned:

Makosen: Except for being a pretty good outcast, I don't think he did much. He sure lasted long but I don't think he should be on the list.

Trusiel and Moridin: I guess I'm a bit biased against these guys since they were caught and deleted for trying to log in as Joven ('You have 47 failed logins'...heh). Besides that I don't know much about them but the Assassin/Druid thing might be the most horrid thing ever to happen to DS. =P

Althanis: Don't think he should be on the list. He wasn't very strong and as far as I know he didn't influence politics that much in DS 1.5, except fighting together with Aixa in the Druid/Realm war and getting whacked repeatedly.

Jiann: Although L'lysandriad's reputation is arguably the most impressive of all, Jiann didn't do much yet. There have been stronger and more influential Priests than him. Although I wouldn't put him on the list, I sure as hell like flabby Jiann for constantly inventing new ways to be gross. =P

Ikho: He got his reputation mostly from DS 1 it seems. He had a fling with Aixa in DS 1.5 too which got him involved in some hostile situations, but I consider him a DS 1 character.

Daru: Daru's another powerhouse like Irithllo, Drenkor and Obtenebrasti. Nevandriel was modelled after his Ranger/Priest/Fighter dual-class (triple-class?). In DS 1.5, Daru refused to hunt with evil characters (which sucked for Joven, who was pretty young at the time) and continued to do so until the Druid/Realm war forced him to work together with Joven. They broke into the Druid Guild together, which was the first time that happened since DS 1 I believe. Another character of his is Helitwinell, the most powerful Druid since Keldar (I think). Unfortunaly he got tired of playing and I've no clue what he's up to now.

Well, that's it for now. Again, if I said your character or your friend's character shouldn't be on the list it doesn't mean I hate them. These are just my opinions. =P

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:13 am  

Obtenebrasti wrote:
I have a feeling that by the end of this thread, every single player in DS will be a 'legend'. =P
Legends are rare. If 90% of a population are legends it doesn't mean they're all amazing, it means that the other 10% are losers.

Legends are rare, but then again, we're a small, but SMART community. Every other gaming community I go to, there are a bunch of "LOLZ any1 want 2 raid if sum1 any1 pls ppl" Just really silly people who can't type, make silly decisions, ask silly questions, and freely use the word "noob" as if it's an actual insult people will get angry at. We honestly COULD be one big group of legends. Ok, that's exarating, but we REALLY are a community with brains, so a LOT of our players have done some great things, and when you get down to it, it becomes a pissing contest of who did what more, or first, or better. Everybody's gonna have their own little list of players they think are "uber" And that includes me. I just got so sick of seeing the same names over and over and over, people who haven't done ANYTHING in years.

Obtenbrasti wrote:
I think the original list had some names on it that really shouldn't be there. Here are my views on the list in the first post:

*disclaimer: just because I think someone shouldn't be on the list doesn't mean I don't like them or think they're bad players*

EVERYONE I named has my respect. And I think they have all done significant things. I can TOTALLY see where you're coming from with some names, but I disagree. But I do agree, the more I add, the longer it will get, and the more names will pop up. I think I'll add Ollathair, and Trusiel, and that's it. I really find Trusiel's Assassin/Druid switch to be simply incredible. I doubt ANYBODY could do it today, for a couple of reasons.

I want to talk about some names you disagree (or agree) with, and explain my feelings.

Aixa: I agree with what was said in the original post...except perhaps the 'Druids are now given more respect' bit.

Obtenbrasti wrote:
Jarai: Although I always liked Jarai and the way he's RP-ed I don't think he should be on the list, except perhaps for being the strongest Ranger since original pwipe.
I REALLY think people get inspired by Jarai. Not only does he stay away from common RP trends, Jarai's stance eventually becomes the common trend. He's as far as I know, the most powerful Ranger EVER. Even without Protector he STILL tears mountains in half.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Channis: I like Channis but I don't know enough about him to really make a sound decision. I never really noticed anything remarkable by him, which (since he's a Rogue) could be a compliment. I'm not sure he belongs on the list though.

You hit the nail on the head with the "not noticing" comment. That's the thing about Channis. He's "behind the scenes", working things out, calling shots, and making things happen. He gets things done without dropping his name or other names, and just uses his brains. He has NEVER had problems that I know of with any other player, and his player respect level is amazing, most people hate hunting with Rogues because they end up sucking up all the battle experince, but with Channis his imput is always welcome. The way the Rogues are now, from the skill list, to how they work, to the guild series is all because of Channis. Dienur has shown me some of his Rogue Forum posts, and the amount of science he drops is staggering. The Immortals readily listen to Channis, and therefore sevral Rogue skills have been changed because of Channis. He could easily make the Rogues more powerful than the Fighters, but he wants the guild to be the way it is. He argubably has more influence than any other player.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Crosis: Another guy who knows how to make really strong characters. Always seems to play evil and does it very well. I think he might be one of the fastest rankers in the game. I'd put him on the list, especially since his previous character caused a group of other characters to work together to kill him which doesn't happen often enough (both Obtenebrasti and Joven seem to get away with everything).

What happened to Irithllo kind of reminded me of what happened to Aixa. He told others to back off and not tell him how to do things. Everyone was itching for a Pkill war, so it hapened. And amzaingly, Irithllo got killed. Thankfully Drenkor marched in, and scored some payback. I think the reason Joven and Obtenbrasti get so much leeway, is because you can explain your side better than almost any player. You have a gift for speech, and you present this kind "this is the best way for everybody" aura to your decisions, regardless of the fact it is or not! It's hard to argue with ANY of your characters, because they are all very good at making others see their side. The fact you can be devastating in PVP is besides the fact. You don't threaten violence very often while everybody else is quick to do so. So, consider yourself lucky, as many other players end up losing a LOT of gear and experince when people don't agree with them. You make them agree.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Ranlin: I don't think he should be on the list. There are stronger Dark Paladins and Rangers than him, and leading large groups isn't too special. I've seen others do it and did it myself quite often as well.

I agree Ranlin looks like small potatoes these days, but back when he was around, he was a beast. He was the FIRST person to hit 100 during DS2, and he ALWAYS hunted in groups. And that's why I found him so inspiring. He had such a sense of control, it was hard to think he could ever been taken by surprise or had the tables turned back on himself. Yeah, watching any high level is a sight, but seeing Ranlin do his thing was just COOL.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Dienur: Shouldn't be on the list. Didn't do anything noteworthy except perhaps having some ideas that weren't implemented. I have plenty of ideas that aren't implemented and it doesn't make me a legend.

The fact the ideas weren't implemented is because Athanar never got back to him about them in any regard. Regardless, his ideas were solid, and inspiring.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Shojinn: Definitely shouldn't be on the list. Although she did learn the basics of the game quite rapidly she never really seemed to get the hang of it. Turning your characters into robots through triggers is not an accomplishment, it's even against the rules. Without those triggers, Shojinn wasn't a very good priest. Eventually, I noticed people rather hunted without her because they'd die less. She often felt it was more important to create a spring during combat than to heal the main tank since 'Hey, if my mana drains because of thirst I won't have enough to heal you!'.

Yeah, Shojinn made some silly choices, and it hurt the groups, but that's exactly the point of the triggers. "If you need a heal, just yell" First off, triggers are not an easy thing to master. Seriously, to get to the point Shojinn did, is incredible. 130+ first MUD character ever. Yes, the triggers were against policy, but they were so good, and detailed Romalith was unable to seperate the policy breakers from the policy followers. Shojinn was annoyed at the fact Romalith couldn't be specific on which triggers to change. Shojinn's alias list is also incredible, putting down casting into single word macros, something maybe only seasoned players do. An example is "h %1" for heal. I learned a LOT from Shojinn.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Froldorf: He should be on the list purely for making the strongest Rogue ever in DS history (I think). Besides that, he always seems happy to help others, both newbies and experienced players (on the other hand, you could say he doesn't play his evil alignment very well). Too bad he didn't stay a completely pure Rogue but got some Fighter and Assassin skills.

If Froldorf played his ethos like everyone else, he wouldn't be the most powerful Rogue in DS history. Instead of being like every other evil character who is "I'M EVIL! YOUR TEARS OF SADNESS SUSTAIN ME! WATCH ME SKIN PUPPIES ALIVE!!! MWAHAHAAHA!!!!" Frolly is "Hi, How are you?" And ends up hunting with ANYBODY, and EVERYBODY. Which can be taken two ways....he is friendly, and not very evil, or he is using people and therefore VERY evil. I like to think he does the later. But he IS a Rogue, so it's in his best intrest to be more subtle, and laid back, because otherwise he wouldn't get anywhere. Since Rogues are VERY hard to do ANYTHING with, it was smart of him to get some Fighter and Assassin skills. But it was seriously, very few ranks. He is 95% Rogue.

As for the other names, I agree with you on Jiann, and Althanis. I don't want to include Ikho because of the fact he has been in the "legends list" for a long time, I love Ikho's style, and he's a cool guy OOC, but he knows how important he is to this community, and so does everybody else.

I don't want to include Daru, and those who like him will need to excuse my ranting, but I feel he is pure power-player. His "RP" is basic at best, and rather mundane, and un-inspired. His only RP choice was hating evil, which can probably be traced to there being so many evil players at the time, so he could solo easier. He was twinked, bug abused, and leveled easily, he cheated his way out of the dual-class fees, by claiming "a lack of communication on Olla's part." which is bullcrap. He LOVED to show off how big he was, which is the ONLY reason he jumped into the Druid/Realm war. He simply wanted an excuse to Pkill, and did so via Aixa. Being a Ranger/Priest of Gaea, basic RP dictates he needed to play peacekeeper, which he did nothing of the sort. He flip flopped from begging Aixa to step down, to killing her over and over. He "broke" into the Druid Guild by fighting the vines for exactly 10 seonds, then retreating down into the guild. Which is a bug. He should have been blocked. Maybe you guys got in, with a big group, but Daru got in alone by bug abuse. When he tried to explain ANYTHING, like his stance he blew it, made very little sense, and waffled. I don't like or respect Daru IC, or OOC.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:17 am  

The guest post is me. I HATE auto log-outs.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:45 pm  

This is your list so you can design it any way you want. If I made a list it would look very different. So, I'm not going to say your list is wrong and mine is right or anything silly like that. I think we disagree about how to define 'good RP', 'impact' and many other terms. Also, the amount of interaction with certain players and IC/OOC friendships influence our decisions. I could write a response to all you just mentioned and you could write a response to that...but I don't think we'd get anywhere. =P
Instead, I'll just applaud you for making a very interesting thread. I really liked reading all of it!

Just a few little things, because I can't control my hunger for a good discussion:

About Dienur:
Quote:
The fact the ideas weren't implemented is because Athanar never got back to him about them in any regard.

In other words: He thought of some really really cool stuff but was ignored. I think of really really cool stuff all the time, and I'm sure others do as well. We too get ignored, does that make us legends? You just defined one of the criteria of becoming a legend as 'don't get anything done'. (Yeah, yeah I know I'm exaggerating. It was funny in my head dammit! =P)

About Daru:
Quote:
His "RP" is basic at best, and rather mundane, and un-inspired.

This is a nice example of how our views of 'good RP' differ. I personally think Daru's RP was as least as good (or even better) as many of the people on your list.

Quote:
He LOVED to show off how big he was, which is the ONLY reason he jumped into the Druid/Realm war. He simply wanted an excuse to Pkill

At least one other player who IS on your list did exactly the same.

Quote:
He "broke" into the Druid Guild by fighting the vines for exactly 10 seonds, then retreating down into the guild. Which is a bug. He should have been blocked. Maybe you guys got in, with a big group, but Daru got in alone by bug abuse.

Joven and Daru alone got into the Guild, wasn't too hard. If 'absence of bug abuse' is one of the criteria to be on this list you should probably start downsizing it considerably. Ofcourse, bug abuse would need to be defined properly first. On a personal level, I just do not understand how you could put Shojinn on the list but leave Daru out. In my opinion, Daru's antics do not get close to the stuff Shojinn got away with. Also, you said you were going to include Trusiel? Assassin/Druid? Impossible without cheating or Imm assistance. Yet you consider this legendary? Well then, I could construct a nice story in which Daru becomes a legend because he found the perfect way to enter a Guild.

Quote:
When he tried to explain ANYTHING, like his stance he blew it, made very little sense, and waffled.

Again we disagree. I thought he could explain a lot of things a lot better than a lot of the players on your list.

So, lots of disgreements, but all in good fun. I think what really matters in the end is that silly little things like these entertain us when we have some time to kill. =)

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:05 am  

Hahaha..bug abuse...*laughs a while*

Aaaah, seriously guys - who here hasn't done something naughty in the past? Smile

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:55 am  

*whistle*

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:20 am  

Obtenebrasti wrote:
I'll just applaud you for making a very interesting thread. I really liked reading all of it!

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I REALLY hope the next time people talk about legends over the OOC channel, some of these names come up, rather than stick to names from DS 1. I feel they deserve it. But I don't expect everyone to agree with my list 100%.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
About Dienur:
Quote:
The fact the ideas weren't implemented is because Athanar never got back to him about them in any regard.

In other words: He thought of some really really cool stuff but was ignored. I think of really really cool stuff all the time, and I'm sure others do as well. We too get ignored, does that make us legends? You just defined one of the criteria of becoming a legend as 'don't get anything done'. (Yeah, yeah I know I'm exaggerating. It was funny in my head dammit! =P)

Outstide of some very good ideas, he was also very quick to level, and rise in circle. Something I had a hard time learning with my first character. He seemed to pick up EVERYTHING much easier than I did, or Shojinn.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Quote:
He LOVED to show off how big he was, which is the ONLY reason he jumped into the Druid/Realm war. He simply wanted an excuse to Pkill

At least one other player who IS on your list did exactly the same.

Who? At any rate there's a diffrence between wanting to show off and PKILL, and wanting to show off and PKILL at the cost of basic RP, and a HUGE level gap. Like I said before, being Daru was a Ranger/Priest BASIC and ELEMENTARY level RP says "You keep everyone calm, get a meeting and reach an agreement" Daru, just broke into the guild, and killed people. He was a good 40+ levels above Aixa, so the challenge wasn't even there. I feel what he did is outright disgusting. It was pure and simple H&S with good typing thrown in to cover his ass. When you had Nevendriel, you did it right. You worked closely with the Druids, and you protected them, if you disagreed, you spoke with the GM, explained your thoughts, and came to an agreement, until that time, you simply stayed out of the whole issue. THAT is what Daru should have done. That is why I hold so much more respect for you, and your characters. Even though Joven and Draven were enemies, I still respected Joven, because he at least had some sense behind his actions. He was less evil than Daru EVER was in my book.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Joven and Daru alone got into the Guild, wasn't too hard.

With you freezing the vines, and Daru tanking, and healing, I can see it happening. But I personally saw with my own eyes Daru get in SOLO via retreat. He left the vines alive.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
On a personal level, I just do not understand how you could put Shojinn on the list but leave Daru out. In my opinion, Daru's antics do not get close to the stuff Shojinn got away with.

The diffrence here is, Daru KNEW what was going on, in all aspects, he CANNOT say "I didn't know" to the bug abuse issues, the bad RP issues, or his own elitism. Shojinn was a new player in an elitist community who has minimal patience for new players who don't know what's going on. Shojinn became fairly frustrated at points, and understandibly so. People in this community almost never say "Hey, do it like this, say it like that." They just make people feel silly for their mistakes.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
Also, you said you were going to include Trusiel? Assassin/Druid? Impossible without cheating or Imm assistance. Yet you consider this legendary? Well then, I could construct a nice story in which Daru becomes a legend because he found the perfect way to enter a Guild.

Haha, Touche. I think what the problem is you have personal issues with Trusiel, and I have personal issues with Daru. so we'll never agree on these two people. I always kind of thought Trusiel's GP was a bit pompus, but I NEVER had a single plesent interaction with Daru, before, the guild war, or during, or after I never liked his posts on the forums, or the fact he would ALWAYS shoot down everybody elses ideas, and then present his own, page-long idea. I had some good interaction with Helitwinnel, but I still don't respect or like the person at the keyboard. Nothing against you, Obten, your history with him is a lot less dark, so you don't feel the same way.

I DO think Trusiel's Assassin/Druid IS legendary, because the idea is orignal. It had not been done, before, or since. He DID in fact, have Immortal assistance, to get in. A ethos change, in exchange for the assassinate skill. That makes the whole thing much more respectable in my eyes, because it must have taken a LOT of work to talk the Immortals into doing that, as we all know, the Immortals would much rather make the code change and not say anything rather than communicate with us. And that's the reason why I think nobody can do it again EVER. Regardless, the RP potental for such is epic, and I kind of wish I was there for it. I know you have personal issues with the player, but I've been intrested in this bit of DS history since Wizbit mentioned it.

Obtenebrasti wrote:
So, lots of disgreements, but all in good fun. I think what really matters in the end is that silly little things like these entertain us when we have some time to kill. =)

*nods* That it does. Is it a wonder almost all of us end up back at this all text soap-opera?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:09 am  

Quote:
Also, the amount of interaction with certain players and IC/OOC friendships influence our decisions.

I already mentioned in my previous post that our opinions about some players are influenced by personal liking/disliking. The list is completely subjective but I just like to try and point out some 'flaws' here and there because I'm weird like that. =P

For example,

Quote:
Tremlar has been known to storm into cities, kill every living thing, and not think twice, but invite him to a wedding, and watch him go through an entire box of tissues.

And...

Quote:
Aixa was the first ever "dark" Druid

And...

Quote:
In an age where nearly everybody from every guild is a thinker, Jarai is one of the few who prefers to think with his swords.

And...

Quote:
Froldorf's RP is the most strange, fresh and Rogueish in history.

According to what you're saying here you include people because their RP is slightly different from what you'd expect. That's what makes them unique. A burly fighter who cries at weddings, a dark Druid, a Ranger hungry for combat (!!!), a strange Rogueish fella.

That's all nice...then this:

Quote:
Like I said before, being Daru was a Ranger/Priest BASIC and ELEMENTARY level RP says "You keep everyone calm, get a meeting and reach an agreement"

Basic and elementary RP? All Priests should solve all things in a peaceful manner, always? There can be no powerhungry and aggressive battle priests? You applaud people for playing 'outside of the box' but you dislike others for it? Joven was a Mage but killed people for licking him. Is that wrong for a Mage and should it be left to just Fighters or something?

See where I'm going? =P

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:56 pm  

Interesting thread.

I believe part of Qiroth's dislike for the Daru situation is not so much the actions per se, but the most likely motivations behind the actions.

Jarai might be a fighter-like ranger, but that's because it's his basic RP. It has nothing to do with how he is ooc'ly, or how much he likes or dislikes anyone ooc'ly. Much the same for the other beat-of-a-different-drummer characters that were mentioned, the occasional lapse notwithstanding.

However, Daru was a different story altogether. He and Aixa had a strong animosity ooc'ly, which I'm sure had a lot to do with how that storyline developed. If I remember correctly, before there was any hint of a druid vs realm war, the druids tried approaching the rangers to form some sort of closer bond with them, and Daru sabotaged that and followed it up with a falacious (for those to whom this is a new word, it means "filled with lies") smear campaign, so the issues were there before there was any RP to back it up.

While I agree with Obten that on the surface, Daru was similar to Trusiel, Jarai, Froldorf and the rest inasfar as unique RP is concerned, ultimately I have to side with Qiroth on this one. The latter were motivated by the desire for a unique character. The former was motivated by ooc grudges (which at the time were all too common, unfortunatly) and a strange misplaced sense of payback.

As for the rest of Qiroth's post, I think it's nice that someone's gone to the trouble of recognizing people who did things a little differently, or who blew the learning curve out of the water. While perhaps not everyone on that list was a legend, I think they all did deserve some sort of recognition. It's also refreshing to see writing that isn't related to ideas and bugs, and brings new names into the old reminiscing banter. I'm sure it took considerable time and effort to get all this information together, so kudos to Qiroth for posting something that is finally worth reading.

Sapphar Aliaric

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG

View next topic
View previous topic