DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG
Message Author
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 am  

For years now, we've all heard the same list of names when it comes to legendary players. While these players were indeed critical to our early years, they haven't done much since then, and haven't been seen.

We have, in fact, savral players in the here and now who are just as vital.

Those who made this list have done the following:
-Played since DS 1.5, or a started in DS 2
-Had a significant impact on the community, either with inspiring RP, or impressive leveling.

Obtenebrasti
Guild: Fighter/Rogue/Assassin
Ethos: Evil

Other characters of merit: Joven (DS 1.5) Mage rank 168 ethos: Evil, Corbyn (DS 2) Ranger/Fighter rank 180+ ethos: Good, Bentwick (DS 2) Mage 180+ ethos: Good, Nevendriel (DS 2) Ranger/Priest/Ranger rank 202 ethos: Good

Obtendebrasti is one of the most intensive role players to date. It's sometimes hard to believe that the dark-hearted "I'm better than you." Joven, and the good-natured, always willing to help, evil hating Corbyn are played by the same person. While always stressing the value of Role-playing, it's also impressive to note, he is the only player since original play-test to reach the rank of 200, not only once, but twice. Intereaction with any of Obtenebrasti's characters is always thrilling, since his RP talent is quite high.

Drenkor
Guild: Fighter/Priest/Assassin

Other characters of merit: Drenkor (DS 1): Fighter rank 120+ ehtos: Evil, Troatlan (DS 1): Fighter/Priest/Assassin rank 197 ethos: Evil, Troatlan (DS 1.5) Dark Paladin/Priest/Assassin rank 170+ ethos: Evil

Drenkor's first character was 120+. a rather good start for one the fastest ranking players to ever grace the realm. The first Troatlan attained the impressive rank of 197 during DS 1, proving there were more players out there hovering around rank 200 than two other GMs we hear so much about. But, more importantly the man practically wrote the blueprint on how to make a one-man wrecking crew. He’s got the tank, The healer, and the damage dealer all in one bloodthirsty package. Always preferring to be a loner, he tends to hunt on his own terms, and does what he feels like. But make no mistake, the man can interact and debate politics. He’s held the GM spot three time now, and is willing to lend an ear if you have a problem. If caught in a good mood, and asked nicely he may cut you a break on those hard-to-get items! If he feels like it of course. He is also one of the most patient people in history. He's encountered set-backs that would make others delete and quit playing completly. He not only worked through these, he came back from them stronger than ever. Woe to any to makes this always-deadly player turn his blades on them. He might honestly be our best melee and PVP player to date.

Tremlar
Guild: Fighter
Alignment: Good

Other character of merit: Tremlar (DS 1) Light Paladin rank 120 ethos: Good, Treal (DS 1) Fighter rank 122 ethos: Good, Ensylium (DS 1) Grey Paladin rank 113 ethos: Neutral, Astroras (DS 1.5) Fighter rank 130+ ethos: Good, Eradimus (DS 1.5) Fighter rank 130+ ethos: Good

Tremlar has always been a loyal person. His friends always have his sword and shield, and you can always count on Tremlar to ask them to hunt with him, unless he’s trying to solo some psychotically hard mob and doesn’t want them to end up dead. Tremlar has been known to storm into cities, kill every living thing, and not think twice, but invite him to a wedding, and watch him go through an entire box of tissues. Eradamus was the same way, never seen too far without his friends close by. Eradimus made interesting RP choices, first, and most note-worthy, never choosing a diety, which caused some uneeded controversy. Secondly, spending a lot of time, money, and quest tokens to craft nearly all of his armor into orginal barbarian-like gear. Tremlar’s characters have always added much-needed warmth of friendship in a realm where back-stabbing and betrayal are everyday occurrences.

Aixa
Guild: Druid
Rank 120+
Ethos: Neutral

Whispered on the lips of those who knew her, Aixa's impact on this community has been quite significant. Before Aixa, Druids were expected to obey orders, put up with disrespect, and not be taken seriously in realm polictics. Aixa changed all that. Aixa was the first ever "dark" Druid, she wielded a sharp tongue, and tough fists. She was crafty, strong, and if she didn't like what was going on, she said so. In one of the most controversial Guilds Wars in history, she was overwelmed and run off. But her impact is echoed throughout the realm. Druids are now given more respect. As well, her influence is seen in the no-nonsense GMs, to the neutral, and even light ethosed characters who find comfort in the darkness. Draven, Darnya, Velorie, and Kallara, all owe something to Aixa.

Jarai
Guild: Rangers
Ethos: Good

Other character of merit: Grinbold (DS 1.5) Fighter rank 100+ ethos: Good, Tryfan (DS 1.5) Ranger rank 120+ ethos: Good

Jarai’s RP impact has always been unique and subtle. During DS 1.5 when all Fighters were brain-dead bashers, Grinbold was the guild’s thinker. Tryfan brought in an exotic element to character RP which has been echoed in various styles by players like Roulane, and Kiton, and any other player who adds an exotic element to their character. Jarai, is the most powerful Ranger to date, which is enough to secure him on this list, but he’s done more! In an age where nearly everybody from every guild is a thinker, Jarai is one of the few who prefers to think with his swords. Sometimes overlooked as a poor role-player, Jarai’s RP gifts have always been the subtle touches, which have inspired the community in more ways than people give him credit for.

Channis
Guild: Rogue/Assassin/Rogue

Other characters of merit: Hari (DS 1) Priest Rank 70+ ethos: Neutral, Channis (DS 1) Rogue Rank: 100+ ethos: Evil, Scathian (DS 1) Fighter 120+ ethos: Evil, Machir (DS 1) Mage Rank: 100+, Channis (DS 1.5) Rogue Rank: 100+ ethos: Evil, Scathian (DS 1.5) Priest Rank 110+. ethos: Evil.

Becoming a powerful Rogue is hard. Becoming a powerful Rogue who has the respect and admiration of even the most powerful and elitist loner warriors is even harder. Channis has done that a couple of times now. Most importantly he's done many things for the guild of Rogues, including their current guild series items. He's been there for their ups, and downs. He's enjoyed the challenge of the class, and has a rich knowledge of it's strenghs, and weaknesses, and has worked very hard to make them a bit easier to manage for players. His older characters have done some fairly important things as well. That's the thing about Channis, he prefered to use his mind to get things done rather than muscle. In his hay-day, if you were talked into doing something, it's because Channis wanted things to be that way. His influnce on politics is incredible. Nearly every one of his characters has held the spot of Guild Master, and his old fighter was the first to run ALL the way through Dragon Spyre, which is not easy. Without Channis, the Rogues wouldn't be half the fun they are today.

Crosis
Guild: Dark Paladin

Other characters of merit: Odaridan (DS 1.5) Fighter/Mage/Priest rank 170+ ethos: Evil, Irithllo (DS 2) Fighter/Priest/Assassin/Rogue/Priest/Assassin rank 197 ethos: Evil

Crosis, is an evil man. An evil man who appreciates humor and loves women, though he would vemonously deny this. He brings a the coolness of a Rogue, and the brains of a mage, to the power of the Paladins. Crosis has a sense of style, that simply can't be ignored, and brings a level of competentness to the guild which has never been seen. May his reign be long and prosperous. Irithllo was a renaissance man of the highest order. He either had ties, and had favors from people in every guild, or he used fear to get what he wanted. He didn't hate anybody, regardless of guild or ethos, unless they truly wronged him. He was always willing to help out others, for a price, of course. And he was not above the kind act. However, he did know how to play his ethos. And he was a one man wrecking crew you did not want to anger. Doing so, most often meant your life. He was smart enough to talk his way out of trouble, but if that didn't work, he was smart enough to catch you off guard, wounded, and in less than an optimal situation. Thankfully, this excellent player has returned to us. Frankly he was away for far too long.

Ranlin
Guild: Ranger

Other characters of merit: Jerith (DS 1.5) Dark Paladin rank 150+ ethos: Evil

There's something thrilling about huge fights in any given MUD. The blur of text, the contest skimming for key words to see how your group is doing, the element of chaos that not even the most expensive grahic MMOPRGs can present. Ranlin was always in the middle of a 7 person group, dead center of a total orgy of blood and steel. He was cool, calm, collected and calling all the shots. Under his leadership, his guild was always blessed with nice items, and his group members rarely suffered death. He was the first person to pass rank 100 during DS 2. Watching Ranlin battle was always thrilling. He was always so in control of any situation, that even consider being able to see him rattled seemed impossible.

Dienur
Guild: Rogue
Ethos: Neutral

Other characters of merit: Piemur (DS 1.5) Rogue rank 50+ ethos: Neutral

Dienur had many productive ideas for the Rogue guild. Including a pair of Dieties who represented good and bad luck. And a dice game which would have included a dice item, a dice cup, and a Rogue specific item called weighted dice, to provide an advantage for the high rollers. Dienur was a quick in gaining ranks and circles, and was excellent in enriching RP with colorful and well thought out emotes, something people still do to this day.

Shojinn
Guild: Priest

Other characters of merit: Gaspard (DS 2) Ranger rank 100+ ethos: Good, Yejinn (DS 2) Druid rank 100+ ethos: Neutral, RhorX (DS 2) Mage/Druid/Fighter rank 100+ ethos: Neutral

Shojinn was a trail blazer in many respects. First time ever playing a MUD anywhere, picked up the mechanics quickly, and managed to work around the confusion of not be able to see a graphical map. Shojinn's trigger building ablities are also supberb, and for a time, was more or less a bot, who could cast spells via command, go far distances in a single key stroke, and brew, and ask for quests while AFK, and NOT be pulled into a void. Eat, drink, create food, all via triggers. Shojinn was also the first to have an army of alts helping each other out. If it wasn't against policy, we'd undoublty see more players like Shojinn.

Froldorf
Guild: Rogue

Other characters of merit: Grympt (DS 2) Fighter rank 130+ ethos: Good

Froldorf is the most powerful Rogue in the history of DreamScapes. And he got there with very hard work, dedication, and most importantly, brains. He spent very brief periods of time in the Assassin and Fighter guilds, just to add to his arsenal, since Rogue is his guild of choice. He is MOSTLY pure Rogue. He never admited to his ethos, and was brillantly evasive if asked. He avoided items meant exclusivaly for the darkness walkers, as long as possible, and was very charming and respectful to everybody. Froldorf's RP is the most strange, fresh and Rogueish in history. Using a lump of flesh in his right palm, to become much more womanly, he (now a she) would seduce men, and at the right moment, a smooth backstab would send them into the arms of death. Froldorf would never have reached the point where he is if he had played his name and class like everyone else. Frodorf's style should be studied as required reading material.

Thallid
Guild: Dark Paladin

Other characters of merit: Thallid (DS 1) Dark Paladin rank 75 ethos: Evil, Thallid (DS 1.5) Dark Paladin rank 90+ ethos: Evil, Thalid (DS 1.5) Dark Paladin rank 50+, Thawid (DS 1.5) Dark Paladin rank 30+, Thallid (DS 2) Dark Paladin rank 50+ ethos: Evil, Glaralith (DS 2) Mage rank 90+ ethos: Neutral

There's a lot to be said for dedication, and Thallid is certainly dedicated. Having existed in various forms since DreamScapes' inital playtest, mostly as a Dark Paladin. It's come to the point where many people have a hard time thinking of him being anything other than one of Belial's knights. And certaintly NEVER a light walker. He's a wealth of knowledge for history. His RP is both the most appropriate, and infurating to date. If felt he's been wronged he will activally ignore anyone who he feels at odds with. Those he is friends with benefit from his constant and endless hunting, and gain from his knowledge of excellent items. Argubly, he is the most appropriate player of the evil ethos to date.

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 am; edited 12 times in total 
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:08 am  

very nice...except its missing one person- Akazh. heh jk im not even close yet. Twisted Evil

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:16 am  

Thanks alot Qiroth. I appreaciate the recognition for the work i put into playing my characters. I think you did a great job with your characters in the past as well.

Thanks again,
-=Froldorf Hazbahr=-

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 am  

Nice list =)

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:10 am  

Talking about Irithllo:
Qiroth wrote:
He was overwelmed and had to stop playing. He will be missed.

Irithllo has come back and has been back for awhile, but in a different form. I will not say who it is in case he would rather keep that to himself. But he is still in the realm and actually quite active.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:55 am  

Dronzer wrote:
Irithllo has come back and has been back for awhile, but in a different form. I will not say who it is in case he would rather keep that to himself. But he is still in the realm and actually quite active.

*nods* Paragraph edited.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:01 am  

I'd REALLY like to see a disscussion going on this list. People I named: Talk about some of the aspects of your characters that I wrote about.

Anybody: Talk about anything on my list, who the people were, what did they do, character aspects, etc. etc. etc.

I really would love to see some serious talk about some things in this thread.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:17 am  

Qiroth wrote:
Talk about some of the aspects of your characters that I wrote about.

Weeeelll, although I do appreciate everything you said about Jarai, I would like to point out that really, Jarai is only half a person. Of course, we couldn't expect Qiroth to talk about the other half, the other half having been him Twisted Evil

Jarai's identicle twin brother Kirin completed Jarai perfectly. Jarai, as Qiroth so elegantly put it, thought with his blades. Kirin preferred the systematic, logical approach. Seeing as how any situation would call for one or the other, Kirin made the perfect Ranger GM and Jarai his best Lt. Unfortunately, other matters got in the way Shocked and Kirin was deleted. Ahhh well, them's the breaks, I guess. After that Jarai became GM, which didn't really fit his RP. A person who's first reaction in any situation is "Where's my sword?" doesn't generally make a good leader, and I didn't intend to change Jarai's personality so that he would be better at it. I would never sink to that level; Jarai is unique and far be it from me to force him into a box of my own creation Twisted Evil

So to sum it all up, Qiroth has played some rockin' characters himself such as Draven, the DS 1.5 Druid and Kirin, the DS 2 Ranger. Let's all have a round of applause!

Personally, I would also add Eradimus to this list. DS 1.5 Fighter, knew his way around. Epitome of the "Barbarian" fighter style, never chose a diety (and got some serious guff about that too), crafted a LOT of very barbarian-looking gear, and was, generally, uncomfortably like Conan the Barbarian. I think I would add Makosen, DS 1.5 Mage, to the list. He had a good fight with Joven and probably acomplished more than any other outcasted character ever.

~Jarai Riandel

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:48 am  

If you're going to add Makosen, be sure to hint on Moridin as well as Trusiel..from DS1. Those two guys probably gave me more hell than anyone else on this game.

And Trusiel was truly a special one, an Assassin/Druid. Amazing guy, really.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:30 am  

Jarai wrote:
Personally, I would also add Eradimus to this list.

*smacks forehead* Somehow, I forgot to add Tremlar's paragraph to the list. He played Eradimus back in the day. Edited to include Tremlar and his impressive (and long) list of past characters. Trem, I'm SO sorry dude!

Jarai wrote:
Jarai's identicle twin brother Kirin completed Jarai perfectly. Jarai, as Qiroth so elegantly put it, thought with his blades. Kirin preferred the systematic, logical approach. Seeing as how any situation would call for one or the other, Kirin made the perfect Ranger GM and Jarai his best Lt.

First off Jarai, THANK you for your outstanding tribute to my characters. It felt really good to read that. And you know, looking back, we made quite a team. Just by name association alone we accomplised quite a lot. And something tells me, part of the reason Kirin was able to get things done the way he wanted was because if things didn't go well, a pissed off Jarai was on deck to make sure they DID. Good times.

Jarai wrote:
A person who's first reaction in any situation is "Where's my sword?" doesn't generally make a good leader, and I didn't intend to change Jarai's personality so that he would be better at it. I would never sink to that level; Jarai is unique and far be it from me to force him into a box of my own creation.

You know, I applaud that. I think keeping Jarai's original direction is a brave thing to do. ESP, since you were kind of thrust into the "spotlight" of being a GM. The fact you didn't waver to the pressure of changing your character into something the community would appreciate more says a lot about you and your RP talent. No, Jarai stayed Jarai, which in all honesty is exactly what Jarai would have done.

I'd like to point out it was Jarai's player who thought up the whole RP back-story and how our two characters should work.

Jarai wrote:
I would add Makosen, DS 1.5 Mage, to the list. He had a good fight with Joven and probably acomplished more than any other outcasted character ever.

While, Makosen is definitly "my era" and I knew him throughout my character's life, hell, we even walked the highway from Keltrath to Tyr together, I didn't know him that well. Draven and Makosen just weren't close. So while I know about the huge fight, and his outcasting, I don't know a whole lot of details. I HEAR, first off, Makosen and Joven didn't see eye to eye on many issues, and there was the whole opposite ethos thing. I THINK Joven was mad at Makosen for gettng killed sevral times in a row, which led to the argument, and his outcasting. And if memory serves, his wife, Evalia followed his lead? If anybody can provide details, I might honestly make a paragraph for him, as I agree he did a lot. Obte, you mind shedding some light here?

Crosis wrote:
And Trusiel was truly a special one, an Assassin/Druid. Amazing guy, really.

Yeah, I remember reading about that during one of Wizbit's nonsensical rants. Seriously, how DID he do that? I can totally see the Druid GM looking past the ethos/diety issue, but the guild trainers? I've been strayed with my Druid and the trainers REFUSE to work with you, in fact, they threaten to call the guards! So, the only solution I can see, is the Druid GM getting the IMMORTALS to basically change around the entire guild structure to accomidate Trusiel. If that's the truth, that truly IS amazing and an entire paragraph should be spent on that alone. Does ANYBODY know the details to that? I really want to hear that.

Also, how do Moridin and Trusiel connect with Makosen?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:37 am  

Here's my side of the story. Although I think it's pretty damn accurate, other players' experiences may have been different. I tried to write it as objectively as possible.

When Makosen was GM, Joven and Vaziil (Sevristh's player) were his lieutenants. Makosen had chosen them because he thought that since he was of good ethos, his lieutenants should be the opposite.

The reason Joven and Vaziil wanted Makosen gone was because of political issues. Makosen had made a few decisions his lieutenants didn't agree with at all, like an alliance with the Priests. At that time there were also a few struggles between Guilds. The Merchants and Mages weren't the best of friends and Joven felt Makosen was constantly messing up in his negotiations with Ikho. Eventually, everything escalated into the Druid/Realm war. This was the last drop. Joven and Vaziil were sick of the way Makosen handled conflicts and thought he only got them into more trouble. They called for a Guild vote and, being the bastards they were, managed to sway the vote in the favor of Joven by using intimidation, propaganda and fear of further escalation. Historians believe that George W. Bush might've been playing DS at that time and learnt a thing or two during those days.

So, Joven became GM and originally kept Vaziil and Makosen as his lts. He soon found out that Makosen was talking about him behind his back, both to Mages and members of other Guilds. Joven already had to deal with Aixa and Ikho, perhaps the most unpredictable characters in DS history, so he really couldn't use this. I can't remember exactly how it went but eventually Makosen was outcast and Joven just stopped caring about him. He was firmly rooted as the Mage GM and could take on pretty much every other character in the Realm (and if not, he could just charm Harami and make him deal with things for him).

Hmm...I liked the Bush analogy. Joven as Bush, Axia and Ikho as Iraq/Afghanistan, Makosen as France. =P

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:59 am  

They don't, at all really. Was simply just my thoughts going off at 2 am or whatever time it was.

But yeah, from what I remember/heard, Trusiel supposedly strayed horribly, then insulted his way out of the assassins, and then joined the Druids. In all reality, I believe this was, and still is impossible, and had to have some sort of IMM intervention. I heard he supposedly had to write a miniature novel to get this task accomplished (back in the day when an RP story was needed to dual - something that I think should be brought back *wink wink nudge nudge*). Trusiel was an excellent player - wonderful RP'er.

Between him and Moridin, those two guys kept me busy every single day after school. If anyone knows where to find these two - TELL ME.

Also, Althanis - old Ranger GM. Seems like he was overlooked a bit. - I know he had a few other past characters worthy of notation as well though the names escape me as of now.

Another name to add - Rathyn. The old Priest/Mage (or was it Mage/Priest?) Either way the guy was great. Wonderful player - reminded me ALOT of Drenkor's style; just not as rash at times.

Draden Blackheart - One of the most vicious players I can remember. The man would steal from his own guild to better himself, a real trooper. If I remember...he ended up under Llysandraid's control, probably the only person capable of taming the beast. Awesome, awesome player.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:22 am  

Bah, you guys forgot some MAJOR players...

Jiann aka Llysandriad, Harami who was in DS2, Ikho even as well, and I am sure there are a number of others that I don't know about as I'm not too into asking who everyone was/is. Of course Dhe can not be forgotten, though I will refrain from saying who he was in DS1 as I am not sure he would appreciate it, though he was a HUGE force back in the day. As for Channis, I think you have understated his accomplishments, as without him, the rogues would not even exist, no offense to anyone else, but he was THE rogue back in the day. As for Trusiel switching, there was IMM involvement, and he ended up giving up his ability to assassinate.

And, if you are going to mention Draden, Moridin and Trusiel, you would also have to add in Valor, the original LP, Arcturis, who people say is forgotten, but only by those who didn't pay attention as an Assassin, as he was the first GM, Elremir, Kaid, Opacus, Tanahlei, Azrun, Frytorp, and Thallid will remember his name better than I, but the DP GM when Thallid first joined their ranks, and of course there was Crystal Eyes who pissed the hell out of everyone, Ollathair, Braphir and SO many more. And these are just people who I can remember...so, props to all of them, all of the new ones.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:14 am  

I have a better idea - lets make this a who isn't a legend thread....so many names being thrown about it'll be easier to just name those who weren't memorable. Razz

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:38 am  

Hey, Marak. When I composed this list, I included people who were either active, or played since DS 1.5. I wanted all new names, of people who've done significant things, yet never got the credit.

Llysandriad has had his praises sung over and over. Now, while I know Jiann is the same player, unfortunitly, Jiann's impact isn't quite as deep.

I knew Ikho played during DS2, but Harami? That I didn't know. But both of them have recieved tons of praise as well.

Valor, Elremir, Kaid, Opacus, and Azrun, are all old names who have recieved praise upon praise. Only Azrun has played during DS 1.5, despite his repeated stating he only posted in the forums, which is bull shee!

Arcturis, and Tanahlei who are new names to me, unfortunitly haven't played since DS1.

Same deal for Crystal Eyes, another old name.

Ollathair, I could include....He was 150+ back in DS 1.5 had there ever been a PURE Priest more powerful than that? Olla, WAS a pure Priest, right?

THANK you for the added info on Trusiel's Assassin/Druid dual!

Crosis wrote:
Also, Althanis - old Ranger GM. Seems like he was overlooked a bit. - I know he had a few other past characters worthy of notation as well though the names escape me as of now.

Wasn't he Ranger GM after the Druid/Realm war?

Unfortunitly, for Draden, he hasn't played since DS1, but I HAVE heard the tales! In fact, when I was rolling Draven, I was warned people might ask me crazy questions because of how similar the names are. Truesiel, I can include, I'm going to talk about his Assassin/Druid switch, which is friggen amazing, and his DS 1.5 GP. Mordian I'll need some info.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG

View next topic
View previous topic