DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Tales of Adventure
Message Author
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:18 pm  

The grand castle of Lasentrop lay in front of Arken with its castle guards brandishing thier might Protectors, wary of unwanted visitors. "Ah..." the priest thought "The great city of the Fighters. What am I doing here?"
An unearthly and feral growl startled him and the priest quickly spun around to face his foe. A dark forest stretched into the distance as far as he could see, and the humble servant of Osiris felt uneasy. "This isn't right.... that isn't the same wood that surrounds the castle." Arken mumbled quietly under his breath. A dark figure shot through the wood, hidden by the shadows and many trees obscuring the priest's view.
"What was THAT?" a shudder ran down Arken's spine as he drew the ceremonial dagger of the Wyrm. He focused his Elven eyes and scanned the area for the strange being.
An odd voice echoed through the trees, beckoning him onward "Come priest, see what the future holds for you...."
Arken chanted his protective spells and quaffed a blue potion, hoping that the limited invisiblity the brew bestowed upon him would give him some advantage.....or protection. As he took his first steps into the forest, the trees opened up and a well lit path ran far down the wood ending at a small hut. Feeling uneasy, Arken glanced back over his shoulder to see the trees closing over the path and hiding what little he could see of the castle.
"Hurry priest....this is not a friendly wood." the voice loomed from the distance making him increasingly wary. His walk quickly picked up pace and turned into a brisk jog as shadowy figures darted back and forth from the protection of the shadows.
"Don't look back." he thought to himself as the sound of another's footsteps echoed his own. Again he heard the growl and Arken began a flat out run for the asylum of the hut. He could hear whatever was behind him gaining ground, hell he could feel it. The hot breath of the beast warmed the hairs on the nape of his neck, and Arken took a mighty leap and flew through the black fabric concealing the entrance to the hut.
"Welcome!" a withering old hermit grinned from inside a shadowy hood as the priest went tumbling into the wall behind him. "I am glad......" the hermit was interrupted as the small hut began to shake violently and a horrible scream drowned out his words. The hermit removed his hood and stood up, "Begone!" he shouted with authority and slammed down a gnarled ivory staff tipped with the head of a white wolf. The blue eyes of the wolf began to glow immensely and was soon so bright that it hurt to even look at it. The light shot out from the staff in a wave, and with a startled yelp.... the noise stopped.
"Now then." the old man looked down at Arken and helped him to his feet. "I am glad you made it." he smiled and sat down at a small wooden table. "We have little time, so I will get right to the point."
Arken brushed the dirt off himself and looked at the hermit, "What is it you brought me here for, and what in Osiris' name was that crazy beast outside!?"
"A horrible thing has befell you priest..... you are not long for this world." the hermit stroked his long, white beard and seemed very troubled not by the awful creature outside, but by the priest Arken. He looked at him warily and asked, "Do you not remember getting bit by the bat in the woods of Nosfer?"
"Aye, but the last thing I remember was falling asleep....." a glint of recognition sparked in Arken's eyes and he said, "Ah! this is a dream is it not?"
The old man nodded in agreement and continued, "Yes, but I assure you that anything that happens to you here will happen to your sleeping body. Now then, a great curse has been placed upon you and there is no removing it." The hermit removed a small pipe from within his robe and lit it, "You will die today and only the choices of your companion will determine your final resting place."
Arken was shocked and the color completely drained from his face, "WHAT! Huh...huh..how can this be?"
"The dark blood flowing through the bat that bit you is now taking over your body. I know you can feel it.... in fact you are already showing signs. How do you think you lept the great distance into this hut?" The hermit briefly tapped his pipe, "The bat that sank its fangs deep into your neck was the weak form of the last soul with your curse. Although she wasn't bit by a bat...... she was viscously attacked by the monster now hunting you."
The old man passed the pipe to Arken and the priest asked, "Never mind the back story, what must I do?"
"Alas, there is nothing you can do. Only the one who defeats the beast can determine your fate." The wizened old hermit's eyes glazed over, "You see, the one who defeats the cursed creature is faced with two choices. The monster holds a great and mysterious weapon that many men have died to attain, and many more will die to get. It also has in its possession a certain potion that if quaffed is rumored to give all the victims of the beast rest."
Arken raised his eyebrow, "Rest? Then it will remove the curse?"
The hermit shook his head, "No... rest and only rest. You will have the ability to move on to your final resting place...heaven, hell, or whatever your belief. The problem is that the slayer of the beast may only choose one of these items, and needless to say....most men choose the weapon and are consumed by its evil."
Understanding suddenly lit Arken's face, "Ah yes.....Antubis will not want to lose that weapon, but I am confident he will make the right choice."
The hut began to shake violently and the roar of the monster blared louder than before. "It begins! I can no longer protect you, his will is too strong for my magics..... good luck young priest. May Osiris protect you..."
Arken opened his eyes and saw two empty eyes reflecting the moon staring down upon him. He opened his mouth to scream....and the claws of the beast tore through his face........

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Tales of Adventure

View next topic
View previous topic