DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter
Message Author
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:28 pm  

I think, where RP is concerned, that many people get a bit forgetful of what it's like to be new to a realm.

When you just start out in a realm, you are confused and lost. You want to try as quickly as possible to gain some decent clothing and weapons, and to learn skills that will keep you alive long enough to make it to your next meal. You don't really have much time to stand around chatting with many people, as you are rushing around trying to stay alive, and to gain some expereince before the slight advantage of any spells cast upon you run out again.

When you eventually become powerful, and have had time to learn the realm and explore it, then you can afford to sit around a bit more, and these are generally the people that want to RP more (just as older "adventurers" prefer to talk over old adventures more, rather than do them).

Something that people often forget is that this is a "RP encouraged" realm, not a "RP enforced" realm. Although RP is good, and add to the fun, when you are running around like a headless chicken trying your best to get to the fountain or to the baker before you starve to death or die of thirst, then get back out there to earn enough gold to buy your next meal, then you tend to forget about chatting to others about how wonderful the Gods are, or how "Adventurers just aren't as good as they were in my day"

I am a ranger, and proud to be one. As a ranger, I tend to spend most of my time "ranging". This means that I am not a particularly gregarious character, as most squirrels don't tend to speak much. When I come into town for supplies, it's good to catch up with anyone that's around, but there are often few people around on those occasions. I tend to hunt alone, because a ranger relies on speed and agility, and having a heavily armoured hunting partner, or one that can't walk as far, can mean the difference between life and death out there in the wildernesses. They are a great help in the battles, but can also be the cause of your death too (actually, most of my deaths have been due to teaming up with someone else, and finding myself in a battle I wouldn't have entered normally). Being a Ranger does mean that you have to choose your prey carefully, and so merely following or leading another into battle often is a great disadvantage overall, it is often better to hunt alone... slower, but more rewarding over time, and less perilous.

This does mean that at times, I may appear aloof, or solitary, but such is the nature of life in the wilderness. A ranger can less afford the time to roister and drink as can a fighter, or to meditate on life and the gods as can a priest or druid, or to be too concerned about gold as can an assassin or rogue, or to worry about honour and faith as can a Paladin, or to study the arcane as can a mage. We are most concerned with hunting and preventing ourselves with becoming the prey ourselves. Our concerns are more about where we may hunt our next meal, or where we may find hides for clothing than anything else. If you choose the life of a ranger, then you do, to a certain extent, choose a life of isolation and lonliness. It's nice to meet other hunters along the way, and always good to have company in the hunt, but it's more common to have to hunt alone and to have to shun the company of others in order to get your job done.

In short, I would love to be able to sit around and chat, and joke with others I meet (I am a fairly friendly person after all), but often it is just not possible.

Others may sit and complain that I am not RPing enough, because they only see me briefly, as I fly past them, but they have been around the realm for longer, are more powerful, and so have already done most of the tasks I need to do. I however often have to sacrifice my desire to be gregarious and friendly in order to stay alive.

Before someone else replies that each profession had similar problems, so why am I complaining? I am not complaining. I chose the life of a ranger, and love it. I also respect the callings of all others, each to their own. I am merely saying how it is for me personally, as a relavitely young ranger, just trying to life my life as best I can from day to day in a cruel and unforgiving wilderness.

RP isn't dead, it may just be that some of us aren't RPing exactly how you want everyone else to. Some of us are RPing quieter characters, or characters that don't talk much while busy trying to stay alive.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:03 pm  

I mean more as a whole, sure there are a few good roleplayers around generally. I'm just commenting that the realm as a whole has been lacking generally in the roleplay department, and I'm not the only one that has felt this way.

Its more of an open encouragement to help people remember this is a roleplay mud, we arent just here to kill, promote and kill some more, and its what makes the game different from say, your typical hack and slash. Because we are the playerbase the responsibility falls on us to define what sort of "atmosphere" we want to play in (other than Melleth overseeing it all of course Wink )

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:13 pm  

Ecarg wrote:

RP isn't dead, it may just be that some of us aren't RPing exactly how you want everyone else to. Some of us are RPing quieter characters, or characters that don't talk much while bus trying to stay alive.

I think you just summed up what I've been talking about right here. The hunt is a long and tedious process, why not take the time now and then to relax and socialize. Sure, some characters are more social than other, thats a part of roleplay. But just because I point out that as a *whole* the roleplay is lacking, doesnt mean I am expecting anyone to act a certain way.

Many characters can and do prefer to hunt on thier own, but there is no stereotypical persona "profile" to any one class. Sure profession influences a characters behavior, but if every character fit the exact "mold" for what guild they belonged to, things would sure get boring.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm  

I think Vexani hit on it pretty well. People are always rushing around to get the eq, or the experience to gain the next rank. That right there is the problem. Everyone is soooo obsessed with being the best, that RP is kicked to the curb. NOW, I am not saying that RP is dead...I have had interactions with Obtenebrasti, Jiann, Nev, Dronzer, and many others. So, to make a long story short, STOP trying to get the 400k xp, stop trying to get the uber-eq and relax. I remember sitting in the LL for two or three hours, chatting with Llys, Tana and others, or running off with Harami to go exploring, conspiring to rig elections or instigate wars in the basements of Elremir's or Opacus' house, or wandering around Diab with Kaid looking for a frost dragon that was somehow loose in the city. I have been playing another mud lately, and I can say that DS is HUGE in comparison with some other places, and is quite fun to explore. So, in closing, quick recap...while it is nice to have uber eq, it is not necessary. There is plenty of stuff out there that is good and can be enhanced with the passing mage or fighter. Xp will come WITH rp...I have gone on hunts without thinking of xp and gotten one, two or even three ranks without even thinking about it. -shrugs- just a few suggestions is all.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:52 pm  

Wow, I was wondering where you ran off to....

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:44 am  

You know - this goes beyond just the RP being dead...It goes to the entire realm being dead.

There are SO many times where I log on to find myself the only player about, or if there is someone else, there may be 1 or 2 - always the same people.

The maximum number of players I've seen on at any time since coming back has been 7, and that was right after 3 pm (california) and more than 1/2 were people that lived down the street from me.

I'm starting to worry about the state of DS.... Sad

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 pm  

We all remember (well, i assume most of us remember) back in the day, when there were always a good 15 people on DS at any given time, when the Imms were running quests, Karine was GIVING quests, and things were awesome. Nice people, amazing environment...

But now, its died down a little. DS was closed for ever a year, and lots of the old players forgot about it. Sure, some of them remember (myself included) and came back to play some more...only to find DS changed, and (in my opinion) not for the better.

It is not the addition of skills, or spells, or the taking away of certain spells *coughrestoremanacough* but its the people that play. Back in the day...it was not uncommon at all to find pretty much everyone in the realm in character at any given time. And, when we got out of character, on the OOC channel, it was usually hilarious.

What we need is....well, i might get in trouble for saying this...but we need the following:
1) current skills and spells need to be completed, and debugged before other skills and spells go in. Its the WoW theory. (World of Warcraft). They add in new content, trying to divert attention from the bugs, and broken skills and classes. Fix the old, useful stuff, before new things go in. Makes for much happier players Smile

2) We need more enthusiasm from our players. I know of a few people who love to Roleplay on Dreamscapes, and they do a great job of it. Like Crosis for example. I always laugh when i see him dealing with Khaonious, or any other LP in the realm, because he usually involves cabbage in his insults. *snickers* Sure, thats something from a while back, that new players wouldnt know about, but the whole "trying to stay in character" thing is working for him. Other people should pick interesting roles for their character, and go with them!

And by interesting, i do not mean generic. I swear, if i see another "Silent-type, badass-acting Merchant" in the realm, im going to crap myself. Dont be a big, stupid fighter, or a thin, wiry, clever mage....add some variety! Be a tactician, but not too strong, as a warrior. Be a clumsy mage, with better insight than you have intelligence. Be an Assassin who is comic relief, but knows, at heart, what he is, and what he must do.

Im sure you can all think of something, and stick with it! Telling other people to roleplay will not help if you yourself do not stick to roleplaying!

-Kaz Earthshatter

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:39 pm  

Once I RP'd a clumsy mage. He was one my most favourite characters of all time!

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:46 pm  

I think another problem that I'm seeing is that DS has been really REALLY empty lately. I stopped coming for a week and when I came back, all the times I logged on, there was no one was on or maybe one other person. This is at very different hours.

Of course this causes a lack of RP, obviously, b/c you're not going to play with yourself (well, maybe).

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:13 am  

i play with myself just fine... Twisted Evil

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:51 am  

Wow.
Just wow.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:22 pm  

I just realized while reading this thread, I've been here for 9 or 10 years. While I keep coming back to DS because it's familiar to me, and I have hopes of the engaging RP of days of old (hours of sitting around in LL that Marak was mentioning, weddings, politics, random IMM pranks like raining cows etc.), I am coming to the realization that things have changed...
While the lack of player-base is an issue, I think the loss of the more dedicated players and the lack of RP by many of the current players is more inhibiting.
Just a suggestion, RP is not enforced, but would it hurt to take some time out from hunting to chill out and socialize? I'm offering to provide food and booze if anyone wants to party *winks*

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 pm  

hahah we had a good bout of drinking and smoking out a few days ago. which reminds me, drinking gets you drunk, so why doesnt the variety of tobacco products inflict similar damage? good times. and yea im always up for socializing over hunting, mainly becuase i have a good habit of getting myself killed. questing is always fun too. and the random excursions to myshaud, along with Vice island and acting like a pirate.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:06 pm  

Another problem I think is the lack of Immortals on.. Not ONCE have I seen an immortal in the month I've been playing. or even heard one mentioned. Did they die or something?!

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 pm  

They're on and taking care of things. You just can't see them.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter

View next topic
View previous topic