DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter
Message Author
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:27 pm  

what has happend to dreamscapes? the roleplay died and why? is it all the new players or have the old ones lost their interest? i have been playin for a few years and i have never seen it like this . i hope it gets better. i just couldn't let it go quite. and yes there are a few who still hold on to the RP but very few and they are the ones who have been playing for years...keep up the good work guys Wink

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:57 pm  

Hi Kova,

I am afraid you met everyone during an event in the arena, a competition in fact. RP was occuring but only in one blood filled 'PvP' spot!

Things will be back to normal later and folks will wander the realm and RP again Cool

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:48 am  

The role playing isn't dead in DS(well not like I'd know anything about it prior to about a month and a half ago) I have found it to actually have picked up in the past few weeks. The realm is just so large and the players involved are so diverse that in order to rp you basically have to just chill out in a well traveled area such as the Kelrath fountain or group with some players and accomplish something.
Also, it is very nice to see how lax the environment is here. Except for a few instances here and there, almost everyone is in character the whole time in game. But when the occasional out of character comment is needed, its nice to see that role players' heads don't explode like that movie Scanners or something.
Multiplaying kinda inhibits the rp a little bit, but it just requires a little more brain power to operate more than one character at once. No one really talks much about multiplaying, I get this impression that it's taboo or something. But it is imperative to Antubis' progression for Arken to tag along with him. Maybe I just chose the wrong skills for Antubis to learn (or as Arogan says "You shoulda played a paladin man") but I find it almost impossible to gain any ground as a fighter solo.
I can see why the system works that way (too encourage group play, and therefore by default boost rp content) but if I can't find anyone to group with then Arken and I will just struggle on. Anway, excuse the late night ramblings of a chronic insomniac and get in the game and force the players to role play if they're too busy to emote or say something every now and then.

Question Doctor told me I had to stop smoking for my foot to heal......So I got addicted to DS and coffee instead Shocked

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:53 am  

Being one of the longest playing people left, I have to agree with Antubis to a small degree. I don't think the RP is dead, it's more that there are just so few players left. I recall when we would have 30 or so players almost every night. If we had a good number of players again, I think it would pick up greatly. The only thing we can do, unfortunatly, to get those players back is wait. The game is going strong, but it's still got a long way to go as far as being fully operational. Many skills and spells are left to try out and some even to be put in. We just need to be patient.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:51 pm  

Role-play is depended on how you play your character.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:48 am  

As someone who does try to RP whenever he can, it can get frustrating when attempts at conversation are largely ignored. Maybe I'm playing my character too lamely, or boringly, or hell, maybe I just stink in every sense of the word. Even so, a reaction would be nice.

So if your character thinks my character is a dud, spit at him or something. I don't mind, honestly. At least it's a reaction, instead of the same old silence.

And who knows, we might all be in for a surprise. Smile

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:14 am  

In a way, that is role playing. Your best bet for rp'ng is to wait at the fountain and bug everyone who comes bye. Keep in mind that alot of players are busy running around doing the same thing they do everyday, and it will take alot to knock them out of that routine, believe me.
I've gotten to where I only stop to eat and drink and thats it, but if I should run across you I'll rp you to death Cool

Antubis conjures a snowball from thin air and throws it at Kalveri which totally ANNIHILATES him!! Twisted Evil

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:55 am  

[GOSSIP] Aeonian flirts outrageously with a female Halfling.

HP(65%) MP(98%) MV(98%) $1144 TNL(36999)
() ()
who

Visible Guild Leaders :

Dronzer Songsteel
Luetheus Omeer - Lutyre's Shining Knight of Light
Froldorf Hazbahr - Arch-Rogue
Thallid Rhammidarigaaz, Belial's Dark Knight (FoS)

Visible Mortals :

Aeonian Darkheart -Shadow Blade- (FoS)
A female Elf
Verschus Malficus <-> Magus Infernicus
Mylshai Detreyu - Protecter of the Forest
A male Human
A male Gnome
A male Elf
A male HalfElf
A male Gnome
A male Elf (FoS)
Kallara Riandel, Whisper Of The Water Incarnate
A female Elf
A female Elf
A female Halfling
Kheviel Nightfeather, Mad Merchant of the Mountains (FoS)
Sarentia Karadontra - Osiris' Faithful Priest (FoS)
A male Dwarf
A female Elf
A male Human

There are 23 visible players.

HP(65%) MP(98%) MV(98%) $1144 TNL(36999)
() ()

[GOSSIP] a female Halfling grins.

Doesn't seem like much is dead to me.
Cool to see the game getting more active.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:38 am  

The sad part is that most of those characters are probably played by the same few people. =P

I agree, RP is mostly dead except for the occassional very 'light' RP like 'Greetings sir Gnome, how goes it?'.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:55 am  

I guess it depends on who you generally play with. After my initial troubles, I have happily found some people who are quite good roleplayers, and we probably spend more time on that then on hunting (and levelling. Oh well.)

A few people whom I've noticed are more than willing to RP given a chance:

Norb: there's nothing like watching a hobbit smoking a pipe on a cliff as he gazes yearningly at the sea as he speaks of what he would like for himself once he grows old, or one who takes such mischievous delight in being in places he's not supposed to go.
Dronzer: A fighter for Lutyre who wouldn't hunt Sehaelas. Strong silent type. Overall decent guy, played well.
Aixielia: You may not expect it from her, but Aixielia is a very good roleplayer. Quiet, yes. More interesting the more I know her, very. Very passionate about her guild, even if most don't realize it.
Kisi The most innocent and generous priestess I've ever seen, which is quite priesty, in a novice sort of way. Interesting identity crisis situation too.
Gilthanis: As a GM, it's amusing, if slightly unsettling, to be stared down at by someone who's supposed to follow you. Even so, the transformation from furious druid to dedicated protection machine (and from self-proclaimed Kalveri's worst critic to Kalveri's supporter) has been really interesting
Kallara She's DS' personal soap opera. Two husbands, murky rogue-assassin parental past, kids all over the place.
Mylshai Hey, he liked my quest. Only people who give a damn about RP like my quests.
Marak: Civilized bloodthirst played so well. You should see how he gloats when he almost singlehandedly takes down the entire wall defence of Sehaelas, though.
Kateri A drow-loving lesbian dark paladin. A little out there, but at least she's... different.
Evandraeus: I've seen this guy be the wise priest who waxes philosophical about the farce behind good and evil, and seen him go through helpless anger and sorrow over situations mostly beyond his control. Awesome player. It's really a shame he's not around as much anymore.
Nevandriel: A ranger who takes a really active interest in the druid guild! And he's a ranger-appropriate silent loner type as well. Well done.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of people somewhere. These are the ones that most readily come to mind, though. But with our pbase, this is already a pretty decent list, so I have to say, no.. RP isn't dead at all. it's just kind of... hidden. Wink

Kalveri

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:17 pm  

Ah well....even if they're all multies, I couldn't tell.
The pbase has picked up dramatically in the past couple of months, due to multies or not. Gossip is rampant, emotes are everywhere.....
I think the role play is very much alive and well Very Happy

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:09 pm  

I think the only multies on that list were Kallara and Kateri. So that's a pretty good sign, imo.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:51 pm  

someone else that I've just started playing with, and really deserves a mention:

Ryker. great job Wink

How about everyone else? Who have you all noticed is worthy of some kind of mention or recognition?Maybe something like that will encourage people to RP more.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:57 pm  

With multiplaying removed, I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't yet seen the RP pick up too much. Maybe it is just that I am playing a new character, although the other new characters that are around don't seem to want to socialize too much.

There have been more than a few times that I have actively tried to spark roleplay, even chatter among the other older, high level characters. When a group of people were standing around the fountain, I noticed that they had some shiny new items so I asked if anyone had any stories of adventure they wanted to share on how they got thier items. Not a single person wanted to just sit around and well, ROLEPLAY.

This isn't the only time it has happened. When meeting people for the first time quite a few people can't even say "Excuse me mister/ miss (elf, dwarf, human, ect) it seems that we haven't met. Might I get an introduction?" anymore. They just introduce each other, and run off to thier next destination.

I sincerely hope that we all can work together to better encourage a roleplay environment with each other, that means talking to people, trying harder to stay in character, and striving to become closer with your guild members.

Come on everyone, we can do better than this. Having everything in the realm working and all would be great, however nothing is really going to change unless we as the playerbase can make it an entertaining place to be, leaving player test will make no difference if we keep getting hung up on the same stupid stuff.

Just my thoughts, if anyone else would like to comment about the roleplay (or lack thereof these days) I'd love to hear some feedback.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:38 pm  

Now now, not EVERYONE in the realm doesn't care about RP... Jiann is very openly fat and disgusting. I believe there were a few times Vexani was forced to smell his fingers Smile

And I can name a few people who have cared enough to RP all the time. The list can be short, yes, but I can guarantee you that it will change now that multiplayer is gone.

Less people will be playing with themselves, it will be up to us to make sure we make them RP.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter

View next topic
View previous topic