DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Getting Started
Message Author
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:21 pm  

To start off with... I'm not sure where this post belongs and I just figured "General" was as good a filing as any.

I've played DS in the past and was thinking I might roll up a character, after an extended time away, just to see how things are progressing... or regressing for that matter. Yeah yeah... old "habits" are hard to break. Anyway, I thought I would roll up a paladin... Light... Dark... whatever... BUT ran into difficulty during the creation process. Having a bit of experience with the game, it is abundantly clear to me that to create a "successful" character for a particular class certain attributes become of utmost importance (e.g. Paladin and Charisma). I understand that the "choose your own adventure style" questions are intended to guide how attribute stats are rolled, but I have a few "beefs" with this (not good considering I'm vegetarian Wink ).

Beef 1: It is the desired class of your character that dictates what option you select for each question NOT how you actually believe your character might behave.

Beef 2: At least in my case, regardless of what combination of answers I come up with, my rollstats always favor strength, leaving charisma terribly low. Not good for the paladin I want to play Sad .

I suppose that's really all I have to say. I realize the game is still in p-test, and that is why I open up this thread. I guess I'm proposing that the creation "what would you do?" questions need to be redesigned or tossed out altogether. Maybe just ask:
As a child your character dreamed of being a...
...priest 'choose A'
...fighter 'choose B'
...druid 'choose C'
...paladin 'choose D'
...etc etc.

As it stands now, the question session is nothing but frustrating... and that's assuming you're not a newbie who only comes to find out later that their answers to such questions have resulted in a severly handicapped character that they've already become attached to.

Just my few comments... hope this post is coherent enough to make sense.

Perhaps I'll stop back to see if anything comes out of this post... even if it's to hear that I'm way off base... wouldn't be the first time. Confused

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:10 pm  

The answers you give in creation dictates the path you follow should you choose not to join any guild. The answers you give steer you along a certain path that effects the skills and spells you can learn if you remain an adventurer all your life.

The questions do actually ask what you suggest 'priest, choose A, fighter choose B', etc. But I hope they do it in a slightly more imaginative way than what you suggest.

If you join a guild the guild bestows upon you the necessary benefits in regards to stats and certain skill sand spells, depending on the guild you are joining.

I suggest you play the game a little more to see how things work.

Topic moved to the 'Getting Started' forum.

Melleth Cool

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:19 pm  

My thanks for the prompt response! Very Happy

Perhaps I'll give it another try... and my apologies for playing the pessimist... I was just a bit frustrated and all... not to mention thinking about beef... bleh Evil or Very Mad

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:21 am  

Although most people that will join us in this wonderful realm will probably already have some idea of what each stat does, would it maybe not be an idea to just clarify for certain what each stat means (in real terms) for anyone that isn't sure?

My understanding of them are (please correct where wrong, or incomplete, which I am sure is the case):

Strength (Str) - How much weight you may be able to carry, you HP, what armour you can use and still move freely and how hard you hit someone.

Intelligence (Int) - Affects the number of practices you gain on each promotion and power of spells (as well as being part of making up your ego).

Wisdom (Wis) - Affects the percentage of skills learned in each practice session and the effectiveness of spells.

Constitution (Con) - Affects your move rate, HP and how long you can go between eating and drinking.

Dexterity (Dex) - Affects your move rate, speed of movement, number of moves and ability to hit your opponent.

Charisma (Cha) - Affects how popular you are (buying / selling prices with shops) (as well as being part of making up your ego).

Hitroll (HR) - How often you will land a blow on your opponent.

Damage Roll (DR) - How hard you hit your opponent (how much damage you do to them).

Armour Class (AC) - How much protection from damage you have (the lower the better).

Moverate - How fast you can move or how quickly you use up your moves.

This is my understanding of these, please everyone correct me where I'm wrong, so that completely new adventurers have some idea of what they are and what they need?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:25 am  

Ecarg wrote:

Charisma (Cha) - Affects how popular you are (buying / selling prices with shops) (as well as being part of making up your ego).

Also the Prime Stat of a Paladin, effects Layhands, which is very important, Paladins want as High of a Charisma as they can get.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:43 pm  

Ecarg wrote:

Hitroll (HR) - How often you will land a blow on your opponent.

Damage Roll (DR) - How hard you hit your opponent (how much damage you do to them).

An important note about HR and DR, they don't *dictate* how often/hard you hit, they're just bonuses to how often/hard you hit.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, because I may be if Thallid didn't point this out.. I thought Ego was rank+charisma+wisdom, not intelligence. Also, under help intelligence we learn that that particular stat also let's you remember more names (not sure if that's actually true) and helps you to hit with weapons more often. Makes sense, because if you're smarter you'll see your opponents weak areas.
~Jarai Riandel, HuntMaster

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:50 pm  

It's intelligence, not wisdom.

Wisdom lets you see ego when it's 16 or higher.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:46 pm  

Ahh, all right. I guess I never noticed because both my wis and int are the same... *cough* though it's embarassing that I didn't know that by now... Shocked
~Jarai Riandel

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:00 pm  

Jarai wrote:
Ahh, all right. I guess I never noticed because both my wis and int are the same... *cough* though it's embarassing that I didn't know that by now... Shocked
~Jarai Riandel

Which is exactly why I posted this and asked for complete clarification, as I think almost everyone (even some of the really experienced characters) can be unsure about one or two of precisely what the stats do, especially if it's one that they don't take much notice of in normal, everyday life.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:06 pm  

Wisdom actually dictates the amount of practices, Intelligence is how much is learned per session. At least, thats how it was...unless something happened I'm not aware of. Strength really plays no real part in the HP department.

Of course, there are prime stats for every guild, and having nerfed stats in such areas can severely damper you in the practices/hp/etc departments. Best thing to do is feel it out - you'll get it with time.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:32 am  

Now this information would have been highly useful a really long time ago....

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Getting Started

View next topic
View previous topic