DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Getting Started
Message Author
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:52 am  

When a corpse is nowhere to be found, does that mean that the char is doomed to wraith-hood for eternity?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:23 pm  

If no corpse is found it means it decomposed.

And no, there is no "wraith-hood" on DS. You die, you go to Mortal Anguish and sit and think about the mistakes you just made until a randomly decided time occurs and you pop back in your temple in Keltrath.

Alternatively, if you have a high enough lvl priest with you, they can resurrect your corpse if you are still in Mortal Anguish, but once you pop (as the saying goes) you can't stop.

If there is some underlying issue you are trying to get at please be more verbose in your next post so as to give us all the details available. Of course, if this answers your question, right on.

-Arogan

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:56 pm  

Arogan wrote:
If no corpse is found it means it decomposed.

And no, there is no "wraith-hood" on DS. You die, you go to Mortal Anguish and sit and think about the mistakes you just made until a randomly decided time occurs and you pop back in your temple in Keltrath.

Alternatively, if you have a high enough lvl priest with you, they can resurrect your corpse if you are still in Mortal Anguish, but once you pop (as the saying goes) you can't stop.

If there is some underlying issue you are trying to get at please be more verbose in your next post so as to give us all the details available. Of course, if this answers your question, right on.

-Arogan

Ok, thanks, Arogan.

Two questions arise out of this answer, at least for me a) "you have glowing red eyes" -- by wraith-hood I mean "walking dead" or close enough (ie. corpse has not been "retrieved"); will the red eyes always be there or is that a "bug" which has its root cause in a circumstance where the char does not have the resources to "retrieve corpse". Resources, in this case are either a "corpse" or the "gold/qt" to to "retrieve corpse' b) If "a" is true, then is there anyway to get some sort of body back once the char has been "killed" and the "corpse" has decomposed or is the char going to spend the rest of time as a red-eyed char?

As to any "underlying issues", only one comes up, but, I am afraid that I do not have enough information to ask the question. I do not have a problem with chars being killed, that happens and is to be expected; at least, afaik, in a *MUD environment.

I am just wondering if the "death" to "mortal anguish" to "life" sequence might be flawed in some way (bug?) so that "you have glowing red eyes" never goes away.

In other words, will the "your eyes are glowing red" ever go away? If no, then maybe a quest to reverse this might be an idea; if it is expected that the char will spend all its life with glowing red eyes if it does not find or "retrieve" its' "corpse" then I accept that as well. Understand, I do not mind my char haveing this as part of its "score" description: "you have glowing red eyes". I just wonder if that is the way things will always be and what are the alignment/char impacts from having "glowing red eyes"? As the char is of the neutral ethos, it may have an impact on how the char interacts with others in DreamScapes II (monsters, npcs or other chars). Should also note, my char has not forgotten those that it has met, contrary to what I remember reading somewhere on the website.

What happens if you never find (retrieve) or you can never "recover" your chars' corpse?

I did find my chars' corpse at one point. When I went to retrieve it, the requirements for retrieving it had changed (retrieve corpse in a temple originally yielded "that will cost 700 goid") I went back after I'd come up with the gold (and had already found the chars' corpse) and was then told that I needed 60 QTs. Went away, checked on corpse, and did some exploring to get the required 60 QTs. When I returned to retrieve the corpse (it was still supposed to be around, or so I had thought, even over resets) the char was again asked for 700 gold; an amount that the char had. When command "retrieve corpse" was used the third time, the corpse was gone/decomposed and "could not be found anywhere".

Finally, are there any special powers associated with a char having "glowing red eyes"?

Thanks, folks.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:40 pm  

I believe that the glowing red eyes just means that you are able to see in the dark, it nothing with death and such. If you're an Elf or other character that can see in the dark then your eyes will always be glowing red. If you are another character then you can wear the crown of autumn leaves to allow you to see in the dark but once that is removed then your eyes will no longer glow red and you will no longer be able to see in the dark. The altar is just a tool that you can use to retrieve your body from a place that is too dangerous for you to travel by yourself. There is no need to retrieve it though. You can just go to the place where you died and get all your stuff from the corpse yourself. But if it too far a travel for you then you can just use the altar to bring the corpse to you, but it is just a helping measure and is not required.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:51 am  

About the gold and qts, if you want to retreive your corpse so you can get your equipment instead of walking the long walk back, then you gotta fork up the gold and qts because it requires both. I'd just walk back if I had the moves or get someone to grab the stuff for me, because corpse retrieval will get very expensive in the long run.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:29 am  

Dronzer wrote:
I believe that the glowing red eyes just means that you are able to see in the dark, it nothing with death and such. If you're an Elf or other character that can see in the dark then your eyes will always be glowing red. If you are another character then you can wear the crown of autumn leaves to allow you to see in the dark but once that is removed then your eyes will no longer glow red and you will no longer be able to see in the dark. The altar is just a tool that you can use to retrieve your body from a place that is too dangerous for you to travel by yourself. There is no need to retrieve it though. You can just go to the place where you died and get all your stuff from the corpse yourself. But if it too far a travel for you then you can just use the altar to bring the corpse to you, but it is just a helping measure and is not required.

Thank you, Dronzer. I don't remember it being noted anywhere what the special abilities of each char actually is. No biggie, of course. It is good to know that the glowing red eyes are actually a power, and has nothing to do with death.

Thanks again. Very Happy

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:36 am  

Antubis wrote:
About the gold and qts, if you want to retreive your corpse so you can get your equipment instead of walking the long walk back, then you gotta fork up the gold and qts because it requires both. I'd just walk back if I had the moves or get someone to grab the stuff for me, because corpse retrieval will get very expensive in the long run.

Thanks for the reply, Antubis. I appreciate it. Smile

Fortunately it wasn't a long way away (well, less than level five is probably not going to be going very far from Keltrath anytime soon unless there is a quest that requires it). Both times the char was able to walk back to the corpse and get the items that had been dropped. I do see how it can get "very expensive" to retrieve if it is something that happens on any sort of regular basis.

It is good to know that it requires both. I had thought that it was either one or the other...and, well, call my char a "cheap-skate" if you wish. I think the char would rather not spend the gold+QT to recover a corpse if there is no real need to do so. Smile

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:52 am  

The red eyes are indeed a power called 'infravision', various races get this power and it allows you to see 'warm' things in a dark room (in effect this means you see any PCs and NPCs ..... even 'cold' undead I am afraid .. but that is another issue!).

When you return from the Planes of Mortal Anguish you are inside a new body. The body looks the same as your old body by some wierd and wonderful process .....

The altars are expensive and are not used that often, only in emergencies I imagine when a corpse retrieval will just guarentee another death. Most people get a few friends together if required and go and get to the corpse themselves. Often it will have been looted by NPCs as well, so these friends will be useful to track down the NPCs ....

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:00 am  

Melleth wrote:
The red eyes are indeed a power called 'infravision', various races get this power and it allows you to see 'warm' things in a dark room (in effect this means you see any PCs and NPCs ..... even 'cold' undead I am afraid .. but that is another issue!).

When you return from the Planes of Mortal Anguish you are inside a new body. The body looks the same as your old body by some wierd and wonderful process .....

The altars are expensive and are not used that often, only in emergencies I imagine when a corpse retrieval will just guarentee another death. Most people get a few friends together if required and go and get to the corpse themselves. Often it will have been looted by NPCs as well, so these friends will be useful to track down the NPCs ....

Thank you, Melleth! Very Happy

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Getting Started

View next topic
View previous topic