DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG
Message Author
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 am  

Lets face it now. Dreamscapes and MUD are old technology and the lack of players has come from the fact younger people are not drawn in by this kind of 80's technology.

My soloution to this would to incorporate ds and mud into modern everyday technology.

The vast majority of Canadians use Facebook now (even old Canadians), so why not have a DS Facebook application? Or the vast majority of Americans have either a Blackberry or Iphone, so why not have a DS application for the Crackberry or Iphone?

If we could combine DS with modern trends we could greatly multiply the number of players we have now.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:40 am  

DS does not need any client technology, so long as the client can telnet then they can connect. I think blackberry has a telnet client but I have never really looked properly.

As for facebook, I am at a loss - if anyone has any idea how we could integrate into a facebook page then please share!

Implementor of DreamScapes 2 
Melleth

Implementor
Implementor

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:52 pm  

Perhaps if we had a "generic" character creator that based the character in-game off of bits of a persons profile on facebook then the creation process could be over in seconds, and then we could throw them straight into Keltrath social area.

Since Facebook is a social networking site, I think that Keltrath would be used as a chatroom area more than anything to begin with, but as our players start to pick out the good from the bad, it could improve the playerbase, which would give us a bit of publicity...

This was a spur of the moment thought, I'll give it some more and see if I can get some more details.. just thought I'd share so that others could be doing the same thinking haha. Smile

Lelarion

Assistant Implementor
Assistant Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:30 pm  

At first thought I was completely horrified at the thought of gating players from sites such as Facebook...Myspace...

Though, it would take someone of a slightly more specialized intelligence to venture into a text based games page, I would assume.

I like the idea so far, this might be just the boost it needs! =)

-Also, i did a bit of searching and I believe there was a homebrew application some man designed for the Iphone, I found it on some message board.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:43 pm  

I'm glad people are taking this into consideration!

If you look at all the people that play crappy facebook games like Knighthood and all that, we could easily reel in a few hundred people without even really trying.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:21 am  

I did some research a few months ago at what was out there for pda/cellphone mudding clients. It's totally possible, but the programs that exist out there right now are only for specific devices and require a lot of effort. The logistics of mudding on a cellphone... text entry, data transmission (cost/speed), screen size, memory and processing... I'd love to see it, but there are considerable barriers. What I would like to see for cellphones/pda is better support on the website. The site is FAR from mobile-friendly.

As far as the facebook thing goes... right now events in game reflect on the site like deaths and stuff. Is it possible to have something like the app "Blood Lust", where people can do things on the app and have them translate in game? We could also have a chat area on the app, and a link to the game...

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 pm  

i use torchlight for an android based mud client.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG

View next topic
View previous topic