DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG
Message Author
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:49 pm  

I love, LOVE, the idea of just tweaking already existing areas and equipment.

The removal of sense life pots from Hebatta made me, almost, shed a tear honestly.

I've also got a question for our builders, how many are there?

I've got a pretty solid layout for a new zone I was working on in TBA I could post, but I'd need help to build it.

If anyone's interested that is...

I'm so terrible at scripts I'm beginning to think I'm somewhat slydexic, dyslexic that is.

I wonder though...

Can builders assist other builders in OLC?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:08 pm  

Vydon wrote:
Theres a few things I've stumbled across recently that seem like incomplete/broken quests...wouldn't mine submitting a list if need be.

Yes!

Lets do this man, wrap up some loose ends and give our IMMs something to look into, or at least refresh their memories.

Start a new thread in bugs?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:14 am  

I for one would be happy to spend a week or so inputting stuff that players have prepared, so please feel free to come up with a zone idea and furnish me with 100 rooms (with titles, descriptions, and exits to the other rooms, with colour if possible) And then Mobiles and Objects (up to 100)

Even if you don't have a full 100 rooms, half that is a decent start and leaves room for adding secrets and such and I would again be quite happy to take ideas and get them built.

So yeah, feel free.. start a new thread with New Zone: (title of zone)
and go from there, giving as much detail as possible.

Once it's to a state where it can be incorporated into the game then I'll request a set of vnums for it and get to work Smile

If anyone would like to contribute in this way you are more than welcome to, and this way we can share ideas and build a zone that maybe people will visit regularly because they built it!!

Awesome Idea.

Lelarion

Assistant Implementor
Assistant Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:05 am  

Greetings all! I guess it is time for me to pick up the talking stick.

Vesper, you have some interesting points. I will agree that the game can get repetitive if we let it, lets face it, we probably spend more time on the forums than we do in the game. I will agree that some the guilds are weak, but maybe by fixing the broken skills (such as you traps) and adding some new skills/spells it would give guilds more staying power. I think most characters drop out after 100th rank because of slower progress and fewer skills and spells to choose from.

I agree that places like Diab and Sehealas get overhunted, but I believe it is because of the low risk and high reward of these places that keeps players drilling away at them. Perhaps by increasing the reward for other potential hunting grounds, such as the Holy City or Myshaud, would give players the ambition to hunt there. Dropping in a healer or two would also be a big draw to far out places like that. Perhaps adding in extra areas in places like Diab and Sehealas for characters 120-200 rank. Or having something totally shocking happen, like an Oblivion Gate opening up in the middle of Sehealas for example.

I think there is enough items in the game, but the thing players go for are hit bonus, damage bonus, weapon damage, and special abilities. This is partially to do with meta-gaming by the players. I am sure if there was a pink tutu that gave players +6 to hit and dam, half the people in the realm would be wearing it. I believe this is bad role play. How many times do you see a dwarven fighter wearing a chemise and a corset, just to get the combat bonuses? Perhaps if there was a cost effective way to add hit and damage bonuse to gear, players might be a little more diverse with their equipment usage. I like Vesper’s idea of custom shields. How about guild/diety based items that increase in power as a character ranks up?

As for Imm involvement, I think they are doing a great job based on the circumstances. None of us pay to play, so they are doing this as a hobby, having the self satisfaction of making something cool. Many muds don’t have Imm’s anymore, and simply die.

People quit hating on dualers!!! We work hard to get where we are, we sacrifice lots, and often end up being broke.

A cool tweak for the whirlpool would be to spit characters in more random places.

I would love to help design more areas, but I am afraid I am strapped for time these days. Maybe I'll have more time in the new year.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:43 pm  

Juma wrote:
I think there is enough items in the game, but the thing players go for are hit bonus, damage bonus, weapon damage, and special abilities. This is partially to do with meta-gaming by the players. I am sure if there was a pink tutu that gave players +6 to hit and dam, half the people in the realm would be wearing it. I believe this is bad role play. How many times do you see a dwarven fighter wearing a chemise and a corset, just to get the combat bonuses? Perhaps if there was a cost effective way to add hit and damage bonuse to gear, players might be a little more diverse with their equipment usage. I like Vesper’s idea of custom shields. How about guild/diety based items that increase in power as a character ranks up?

How is wanting a weapon that hits hard metagaming? I highly doubt someone is going to try to level with a wooden cudgel in the name of RP past level 10.

My point is that the strongest weapon outside GM weapons that players can get in game is a Slashing weapon, and there are several slashing weapons blow that that do more damage than the strongest Bludge, Pierce, Unusual, Unarmed, two handed ect weapon out there.

I was just looking for an abundance of weapons that have near or equal damage within th game. Why should a Rogue/assassin be put out to do less damage per round than a sword wielder(stats gear, hit/dam and everything else aside, just based on raw weapon damage) Or a mage/priest, or even a fighter who doesn't use swords because of their RP? An abundance, or general equality of items is what i'm looking for. So evil has a breastplate that is better than anything good can wear, great, good should have an item that's better than anything evil can have. Things balance out this way.

Also more race/guild restricted items would add some variety, but I believe there should be some equality amongst this as well. So evil elves get great quivers and no one else, well evil humans should have great arm wear ect ect..

Anyhow i'm at work and my thoughts are scattered, but I believe this makes sense.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:14 pm  

One skill already in that I would love to see changed is Parry. Upping the chances of a parry when wielding a two-handed weapon would definitely help adding a variety to weapons. They're all in game already, but no one uses two handers because of the shield restriction.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm  

Either that or the damage output of said two handed weapons should be upped considerably.

I believe the claymore from Sehaeles is a very prominent 2handed weapon with high damage capabilities. Though even a well forged sword or sorts can most likely outdo it.

If someone is swinging something that large, I could see it inflicting massive damage.

In terms of balancing equipment itself out...I've always kind of seen it as accepted for what it was. Good gets great headware early, while evil has to wait a considerable amount of time. Pretty much no one has access to good sleeves till later...and honestly in the end, it all works out.

The idea of retooling common equipment to be customized in name alone is intriguing though - and would definately fix the mundanity of everyone else's equipments.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG

View next topic
View previous topic