DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG
Message Author
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:39 pm  

Last night I ranted a little about the lack of RP in DS. It's kind of funny, because today I found myself encouraging a friend who was frustrated by the same thing. And it put things into perspective.

We've been locked in a race for ranks for SO LONG, but you know what? I think that phase of DS is over. Of course there will ALWAYS be that personal race to get as powerful as possible, but I feel circumstances are changing. More than half of the guilds now have unquestionably powerful GMs (probably the main driver in the race, because no GM wants to feel vulnerable and weak against other guilds), leaving them free to start encouraging and even enforcing RP withing the guild itself.

And I have such high hopes for the characters in these guilds! I'm seeing, for the first time in a LONG time, willing and active RPers within most of the more active guilds. Thea, Serevus and Maelius in priests, Vydon in druids, Clarious (about time you were back, you ass Mr. Green ) in mine, Auliya in rogues, Groldoth (once he gets over his Laby itch Cool ) in Fighters, Vance (if it's the same Vance I remembe) in GPs... it's kind of exciting. I can see a shift start to happen, even though those of us who've been around through the worst of it are probably feeling a little rusty. Wink

So I guess I just want to tell people who ask how long things have been so bad, or who complain about the few who really just don't seem to care about the integrity of the game or ANY of that... just give it time. Things are starting to change. Very Happy

My two shineys.

Tarris of Orodreth
Grand Master of the Merchants Guild

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 pm  

g'damn that's a lot of smileys.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:47 pm  

I think you are absolutely right. I Do everything I can to role play and stay in character no matter what the situation. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as happy to talk about that new song I just got the other day as anyone, but generally I leave that to ooc channels. As well, all it takes is a few people actively role-playing their characters and it will encourage others to do so in response.
This is one lesson I learned from Seldjie. She was never out of character at any time. Whenever she was around, others were more inclined to stay in character and role-play. So, if you want to see it come to fruition more so now then ever, when it has the best opportunity to do so. Just follow this example. Role play. Don't give in to the "My shiny new sword just got enchanted for +3/+3 and now my character is +80/+80." I mean, just be conscious of what your character is saying. It's not like I'm going to get back from Wall-Mart and be like "Dude! Check out this new hunting rifle I got! It does 2d10 damage and I bet I could get it at least a +2/+2 enchant!"
I suppose things like, "This beautiful blade has been forged by (so and so) and enchanted by a moderately powerful wizard." Usually good forgers in the realm are well known. You want your spanky new weapon to look impressive? Don't throw numbers at people. In all honesty, I don't give a crap if it's +3/+3 and does 4d20 damage. It's much more impressive to me to hear that the Lord of the Mailed Fist had forged it and the Master of the mages guild enchanted it, and the blade was found in the deepest depths of "blah blah blah"

Meh, sorry. I'll stop there. No one wants or needs yet another roleplay guide and I just sort of went of on a Tangent. sometimes ya gotta let a priest know. All those sermons make it easy for us to just drone on and on! My point is only this though: Role-play encourages Role-play. If you go about role-playing, others will join you. Even those that are just crunching numbers and power leveling, I believe, have their own interest in role-play. Just get out there and do it. And to those of us who already are role-playing, keep it up, spread the pox of play!!! muahahahaha!

Thealerese - Man and Mortal, nothing more.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 pm  

Well, I know I havnt been back for a while, but back in the day, Dreamscapes was awesome because people RP'd 1, but also because the immortals had fun with it! there would always be stuff that included everyone, even the weaker members. like, I remember the goblins use to raid Tyr like every other week, the weaker members could kill the weaker goblins, and the stronger players could go and try to gang up on the goblin leaders adn their guards, that kinda stuff. Also, the immortals would monitor the little dramas that happened, like the assassins guild when they fought the grey paladins, a lot of GP NPCs started popping up to defend the weak(at the time at least) grey paladins, and the eventual smiting of the assassin's guild, leaving ruins in its wake. This is what made it awesome, rping players starting little stuff, Immortals helping it grow into something awe inspiring, and eventual effing changes made in the game because of people's actions.

I guess I just miss all the Immortal interaction, and I was wondering why it doesnt happen anymore? and if its still possible, if maybe we could find some new GM's to turn DS back into the amazing place that I knew.. 10..12 years ago Wink

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:17 am  

oh and having immortals that enforce RP and punish poor RP would probably help too

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:44 am  

8 Players were on yesterday at the same time (+ an immortal on that), felt really good. Smile

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG

View next topic
View previous topic