DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter
Message Author
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:59 am  

My two cents on circle restrictions. In a perfect world where GM's actually play I think it's a good idea, but this isn't the case here. I see alot of people leaving guilds,rerolling,getting angry or just stop playing because they have stopped their progress waiting for someone to promote them so they can learn something they should have been able to learn a number of levels before. I think we should do away with circle restrictions or make it so we can quest for them on our own.May by asking a trainer for a quest or some other way

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:37 am  

I do agree that something needs to be done about circle restrictions. I DO agree with them being in place... but with an inactive GM, or one that isn't around the same time as you...

To sum it all up? I was Circle One, Level 45, with 197 unused practices. No exaggeration.

Back in the day, and I know a lot of us remember it... But Lieutenants could also circle promote. For SOME reason that is no longer the case. It needs to be reimplemented. If the GM trusts the person enough to be LT, then they should trust them enough to circle promote correctly.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:00 am  

I think GM's should be able to give LT's the option to do circle promotions.

Also, promotions can be done even when the character to be promoted isn't around. If you mail or PM your Guildmaster with your rank and wish to be promoted he can do so or give you a quest, also per mail or PM. I mention this because I've noticed a lot of people are waiting for a GM to show up, and when I suggest they send him a mail they say 'Ohh, never thought about that'. =P

Ofcourse, if your GM doesn't respond to anything he's just unfit to be a GM and should be replaced.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:47 pm  

Someone has to say this, and it might as well be me.

You don't lead a guild through mail. You don't defend a guild through mail. You don't make a guild better through mail. You do it by actually BEING there.

Come on, people. We've all been there at one point or another. Waiting around for an absent GM... and most of you probably got your positions because there was an inactive or NO Guild Master at all.

So why are those of you who rarely sign on (Unless, of course, your position is being challenged) doing the same thing to the guild that you probably got that position to stop?

If you aren't going to be active, give the post to someone who is. It's not a big deal. Circle 9 or 8 isn't the end of the world for those who still want a position of power in a guild.

Make this game enjoyable for new people, too. We ARE getting some new players now, and a more active playerbase.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:52 pm  

well posted..I couldn't agree more. The job of a leader is not just promote..it's lead..see it's even in the title..lead, leader..not promoter..we need to see a faces with the names on the guild list.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 pm  

What I want to know is, WHY do people complain about things that may need a change, yet delete their current character moments after posting their complaint?

Now, I understand circle restriction can be frustrating. Being circle one and level 47, with nearly 200 practices is indeed rather overboard.

But there are still options. Like Adun said, send them a mail. If you want to see them face to face, and speak with them. SEND THEM A MAIL AND ARRANGE A MEETING time. It's not that difficult people. Most of the time GMs are around simply when you are not. I myself haven't seen Adun in-game in MONTHS! But I DO know he operates in a diffrent time zone and is around quite a lot, it's just never when I'M there. Dig? I also know if I need to see him for something, it's just a mail away.

"Hey there Adun, I need to speak with you about blah-blah. Do you think I could meet you at the Keltrath fountain on Friday 8PM Eastern time? Take care."

The GMs ARE there, and they ARE leading. But they have jobs, school, bills to pay, kids, family. But I know for a fact, sevral of the current GMs are happy to be around on their non-regular hours to take care of a guild member, or a guild matter.

To be fair, I HAVE seen to other side. Mailing people who NEVER get back to me in any regard. I mailed Dolmant to please tell me the ego on two items a few months ago. I STILL don't know what the ego is, despite Dolmant claiming he ALWAYS answers his mail.

My point is this....the circle restrictions were placed because there was a lot of agreement that it was too easy to guild hop and get a lot of fancy skills without ever needing to meet that Guild leader! So just stop, breath, and arrange to meet, or contact your GM when you feel you are ready for a circle promotion. If they never answer you, bug one of their friends, or call for a vote of GM change. Options are always there.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 pm  

I agree with all of you, but if you really want a GM thats around alot...join the Rangers! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy or the other guilds with active leaders.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:50 am  

Okay, here lately I've been around a LOT of hours. (besides when messing with my piece of crap car) I DO understand not being around for reasons...

(and as for your question, Ciroth. Maybe he was just damn tired of waiting? Or, in this case, he wanted to try a different alignment, yet is still a mage. If you would've noticed that the same person who started the thread HAS responded as the same name, and WITH the same voice. Oh, and it wasn't moments after making his post, it was a full day.)

During this time I've seen Tarris, Adun, Nikolas, Rajaion, (once) Dolmant, (once) Frobno, and Hezekiah. The others have logged on recently (except Agathor, who hasn't been on in a long time) but haven't even been seen by any of their guildies. Torbere has even made a post on the board! (Yay?)

I do agree that there ARE some exceptions. I DO understand real-life stuff happening. The point I was trying to make was that some GMs need to take a more active interest if they want to continue holding that position, or just plain give it up. Not just keep the position because they're stubbron.

An example? One of the people who is around right now said that this is his first character. Ever. How can we expect to get a bigger playerbase back if some GMs aren't even around to help and guide.. and most of all.. promote.

It's just been more than a little disheartening. Which is the point of this entire thread, I do believe. Not just complaining. But if no one speaks up, how will anyone even know that something is wrong?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:30 pm  

I know this is a bit off topic, but from what I've seen I don't think there is much left to be said, so I feel it is alright for me to post this.

Anyways, I just noticed Nikolas's location. I'm in Dallas, TX too! Maybe we could get together sometime to chat. I guess the only reason I felt I needed to comment was because it isn't every day you meet someone on DS in the same location as yourself. Try not to take this the wrong way and be creeped out by it Wink

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:40 pm  

RAPIST!!!

J/K haha

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:46 pm  

hahaha Aikmen Wink

All the GM stuff side, keep in mind that newbie friendliness is up to EVERYONE, GM or not. Anyone can show a newbie around, explain how guilds and training work, let them know that the GM promotes and why promoting is important and to send their GM a letter. Anyone can show them how to make money and how to hunt as effectively as possible for their class. That's up to EVERYONE, not just the GM. Promoting is, in the end, just one part of the whole, and a newbie should master their weapon skill before doing anything else anyways.

That said, a GM should still find time to log in at LEAST every other day or so just to check up on what's happening. There's just no good excuse not to, unless you have no access to the internet for some reason (if that's a temporary situation, fine, but if you expect to be in that situation for months on end, you have no business being a GM). And before anyone starts telling me about how real life this and real life that: I'm a single mom, I work full time, I'm going back to college, I have a boyfriend and I have a parent on his deathbed and a stepmother who needs constant comforting because of it. I take care of all my obligations and responsibilities and I STILL make time to check up and make sure my new guildmembers are promoted to the circle they need to be at. So please. No excuses about real life. I'm busy as hell, and still managing. I'm not around as much as I would like, but none of my guys are bitching about how they're not getting promoted, as far as I know.

If you can't figure out a way to check up on your guild, step down. You're GM for a reason, and that reason isn't so you'll have a spanky artifact.

Should guild circle restrictions be removed? Absolutely NOT. People should NOT be allowed to guild hop three times in a day just because they have a ton of gold and qp's saved up. I'd personally like to see a restriction on how many times a player can dual to just once in a character's life, but that's just me and I doubt many would agree to that. But circle restrictions are there for a reason, and I completely agree with them.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:46 pm  

Okay, then there is the case that you openly state that you want someone to take the role of GM and there are nominees, yet the current GM comes back for just enough time to object to it and then go back to inactivity. I personally have mailed my GM three or four times now and have received no reply. Nothing is being done. I cannot do anything else but plead for the help of the immortals in this situation because there are too few guild members to give a majority vote toward who they wish.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:20 pm  

Aikmen, you're the only rapist for me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy but yea dude, just send me a PM or something and we can see whats up

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> General Chatter

View next topic
View previous topic