DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Getting Started
Message Author
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:31 pm  

I'm having trouble with quest commands. I believe I took Borak's "evil fountain" quest (presumably I need to find an evil fountain) but when I try 'autoquest info' it says I am not on a quest. However, when I try to pick up a new quest from Borak, it tells me I am already on a quest. What's the proper command to view your current quest?

Also, the Prince seems to have no quests for me. Is that something that comes at the later ranks, or is he just saying that because I'm already on a quest?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:26 pm  

There are a few different mechanisms with which the MUD handles quests:

1) The Royal family and autoquest: In each of the major cities, you'll find a member of the royal family. If you type 'autoquest', you'll see the various arguments you can use with the command. If you 'autoquest request' at the Prince, for example, there's a chance he'll send you on a kill-quest, a retrieve-quest, or very much nothing at all. Something about "brave Eramus, but I do not have a quest for you right now!" The autoquest is generated somewhat randomly -- most killable mobiles in the game are flagged to be questable -- but it does check against your own level so it does not send you out on something too difficult (or easy).

And you do have to come back to the member of the Royal family that sent you off on the autoquest; the royal family members are not interchangeable.

2) You have the hardcoded 'list' questmasters like Borak. There are only a few of these guys in the game. It's the straightforward 'list/list #/join #' type. Keep in mind that all the quests available for that particular questmaster are shown with the 'list' command -- even those very much above your level.

3) Then we have the trigger "quests," which require different, varied interaction with the mob/obj/room to get started. Because those trigger scripts that are written from scratch, they offer immortals a much higher level of flexibility in how we can design them. The postman, Thacknis, etc., are examples of that.

All of these are separate and somewhat irrelevant to each other.

The Prince doesn't care that you're currently on Borak's quest -- you're just getting unlucky. To be fair, the chance of you getting an autoquest (at almost any level) seems less likely than so; it's simply a roll of the dice whether you get a quest and what mob it sends you after, every time you 'request' one.

(And I cannot currently recall if there is a command to check which one of questmaster quests you picked from the list.)

Hope that helps.

-- Z.

Zaulh

Master
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:48 pm  

Ahh, that does lay it out a bit more clearly, thanks! Knowing that the Royal Family quests are a separate group from the hard-coded ones puts things in perspective.

I'm fairly positive I've got the fountain quest from Borak, I just need to find the right fountain and verify, I suppose.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> Getting Started

View next topic
View previous topic