DreamScapes MUD

DreamScapes MUD: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG
Message Author
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:16 pm  

I'm not sure if I'm just missing everyone in game, but I've only seen a single other player since I've been back. Did something change from June? Before, when I logged on, it was not so uncommon for me to run into at least one other player.

So, I have a bit of a suggestion as far as bringing in some new blood, especially coming from the perspective that I am very much "new" to DS2 still; post on the forums.

When I browse TMC or whatever looking for MUDs to try, one of the first things I do is go to their website, straight to the forums, and look at the dates of the posts. The descriptions on sites like TMC always say something like "100 players on at it's peak!" or some variant of that statement, and I never believe it because it was likely written years ago. The forums tell the real story. If the forums are even a little bit active, you can usually bet that the game is, even if not everyone is on at the same time.

MUDs are, at their heart, social games. So, ideally, be social, even outside of the game. I'm not saying post daily, or spend more time on the forums than in game, but don't be afraid to say hi, or just shoot the breeze in a general forum, even if you don't have anything to say in relation to the game.

When new players visit this site, they will see activity. Then they go try the game. Low to zero forum activity is a red flag for a lot of people, and they won't even bother to log on. This is the key with DS2, I think; we need to convince them to log on by at least being somewhat social here.

Why? Because when they do, they will see one of the cleanest, most comprehensive, fleshed-out MUDs out there. Yes, the debate about how long to stay in the Adventurer's Guild or whatever is a little trying for new players, but for the most part, this MUD is more noob friendly than many, MANY others I have tried. I've been on so many that give you zero clue about what to do, have no idea what proper line wrapping is or how to exploit the interface aesthetics to give the player a clean, at-a-glance feel every time they enter a new room. You folks have done that perfectly, and people need to see this, but they won't if they don't think anyone is around anymore.

So, just a thought, because I really do enjoy DS2. I was even going to mention it on Reddit again, but I wasn't sure if it was my place to. I just think that the condition of the forums (read: the dates, especially) can make or break the MUD for a new player before they even log on, and it is often over-looked by those who have been around for awhile.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:41 am  

I do think breathing some more life back into the forums would be a good step in the right direction.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:31 pm  

Yeah. I just don't want to be the only one doing it, since that would look weird, haha.

Anonymous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DreamScapes MUD Forum Index -> DreamScapes MMORPG

View next topic
View previous topic